Raven 

Piano music filled my ears as my hands were filled with poorly packed box's. I grunted as I made my way through the front door of the small farm house. The front door creaked loudly as my boot's footsteps echoed through out the home. The hardwood flooring had seen better days with it being worn and scratches from past residents.

I had been working my ass off at my job to afford this house. I had always wanted my own house and when I saw this online, I knew I wanted it. It was cozy and far out enough that my neighbors were a good fifteen minute drive. The price was strangely super cheap for the house that it was. It was three bedrooms and two bathrooms. It was two story with five acres of land surrounding it.

The realtor had offered to repaint it and give it touch ups. But I had declined, the charm of the house is what brought me in. As I set the box's on the floor by the kitchen, I saw indents on one of the frames. There were several worn lines with faded writing next to them. The writing had ages present next to the carved lines as they went all the way up to my chest. It stopped at the age of twelve.

I let my fingers slowly brush against the carved lines as I imagined a bright eyed child excitedly asking there mother to measure them.  I couldn't help but let a small smile drift on my lips. The more you looked around the old farmhouse the more memories you saw of past tenants. 

I secretly wished I knew what each one meant to the people and felt what they had felt. I let my thoughts drift and eventually forced myself back to unpacking my box's. I didn't need three bedrooms, considering it was only me going to live here. But the price and the beauty of this house was to good to pass up.

I knew one would be my new office along with my bedroom, of course. The third could be for a guest that at this moment seemed non existent. I didn't have any family and friend's weren't really in the picture.

It had always been just me and my thoughts for as long as I could remember. 

I set up the kitchen with the small supplies I had and rebuilt my cheap dining room table as the sun set through the windows. The light slowly vanished and the small lamps that I had from my old apartment did little to light up the house.

I sighed and made sure the front as well as the back door was locked before retreating upstairs. The stairs creaked with my weight and as I made it to my new bedroom door, I thought I had saw something in the corner of my eye. I quickly turned around and was faced with an empty hall. I shut my eyes with a sigh. "I need rest"

My brain was making up things in the dark and I could feel the strain of the day weighing me down. I let a small yawn escape my lips and walked into the room. The house felt a little to empty, maybe I needed a pet?

I decided I would dwell on this further in the morning as I sluggishly made my way under the covers. 

Had I been more awake, maybe I would have noticed a odd figure lingering in the doorway.