Chapter Thirteen: Two Horses

Jorlin's sleep was broken before sunrise the next morning. She groaned as she felt her sore joints and back protest her movement. Her fingers were numb, and her hair tips were touched with frost. She was about to go back to sleep, but she heard someone moving around behind her. Jorlin rolled over, and beyond the armor she had removed the previous night Draven was rolling up his bed and blankets and strapping on his armor.

"What are you doing?" she asked, her voice smothered with morning.

His line of sight quickly flitted over to her, and he replied, "You shouldn't be up this early."

"You woke me," she said, sitting up. She ran her hand through her short hair; she had almost forgotten that most of it was gone. "So what are you doing?"

He answered curtly, "Leaving."

He buckled on his greaves, followed by his vambraces.

"Leaving?"

"Yes, leaving," he snapped. "Do I have to repeat everything for you?"

"Are you going to answer my question or not?" she asked, too tired to try to argue with him.

"I'm riding to Mauntell Castle to gather information for Slater in secret."

When she heard the words 'Mauntell Castle,' she sat up straighter. This could be her way to Asher. "So you're spying for him?"

"I was his squire two years ago," he added in a bitter voice. "The only reason that man's still alive is because I'd be executed if I killed him."
Jorlin couldn't help but smile wryly at that. "You're spying on the Mauntells?"

Draven nodded.

She tried to study him. If he indeed was a spy for the Mauntells, as she suspected, then she could use that against him to force him to bring her along. She knew the fastest way was through manipulation.

"You have one face, yes?" she asked.

"Yes, of course I do," he muttered as he gathered his things together.

"Then why do you make another one for yourself?"

"Not this again," he sighed, finally making eye contact with her. "Look, I've already told you that I'm not... what you're accusing."

"I'm not arguing with you about this any longer," she stated. "I know who you are, and it's time for you to stop denying it."

"Fine," he growled, pushed past the breaking point.

Jorlin suppressed a haughty smirk.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want you to take me with you."

He sighed and asked, "What?"

"Take me with you when you go to Mauntell Castle. I need to get there," she answered.

His expression relaxed when he realized, "This is about your stupid friend, isn't it?"

She stiffened. "Yes, this is about my 'stupid friend.' You're going to take me with you, willingly or not. I have your life in my hands, remember?"

"How desperate are you, that you'd throw your life away so rashly just for the chance to save one man?"

"That's none of your concern."

He leaned on his knee. "No, if you're going to force me to drag you along, I think I deserve to know." Draven rolled his eyes as he asked, "Was he a lover?"

"Don't be ridiculous; that's for children. A friend."

He seemed genuinely curious as he asked, "How could just a friend mean that much to you?"