Chapter 21 (Part 1)

Jordyn

After practice, the whole team went out for lunch at In-N-Out Burger. We were talking about the team we were facing. The game was at my old school, they never took any L's. I can fully walk on my leg now, it hurts a little but I'll keep trying.

We were deep into our conversation that I realized that Brandon wasn't there, he came back 2 minutes after.

"Sorry I left, I got an important call"

He sat beside me and kissed me on the cheek. He loves doing things like that in front of my friends or just in public. I don't mind, he's making sure people know what's his.

I decided to go see if my parents were home while the rest of the team went shopping. Brandon drove us there and was surprised to see the house.

"How many people live in there? Damn"

"Three"

I rang the doorbell and waited a good 2 minutes before my mom (step mom) opened the door.

"Hi mommy"

"Jordyn. Baby I've missed you. The last time I saw you, you were in a hospital bed. Come in"

We walked into the living room while my mom called my brother and dad. My brother came and hugged me.

"Woah there, how are you taller than me just like that? Weren't you 5'8?"

"Yea I'm 6' now"

"I don't like you, move from here"

I pushed him to the side so I could hug my dad. He hugged me tight, I almost couldn't breath. We sat in the couch and my mom asked the first question.

"Who's your handsome, tall friend? He was at the hospital, he seems special"

"This is Brandon. We're together"

"Welcome to the family, Brandon"

I looked at my dad who had a serious face on. I already knew how he was feeling. He took us to the kitchen to "talk"

"I know what you're gonna say. I know, I need to be focused. I get that you want me to be at the top but I have to have a little fun."

"You're my little girl. I don't want you dealing with what these guys out here are doing."

"I'm almost eighteen. I'm not a child like I used to be. I'll keep my head in them books and forever play basketball, don't worry. I got this"

"You guys are growing up too fast. Your brother is already dunking now"

"My man"

We hugged before going back to the living room and having conversations about Miami and the game.

Brandon

Today's the big game and Jordyn's been having mixed emotions about it. One minute she's scared that they might lose and the next minute she's happy that they're versing each other.

We got to the school's gym seeing people everywhere. The gym was huge and was packed with people. The game started after 20 minutes of warming up and Jordyn's words of wisdom; we were in lead by 4 points.

We started falling behind and Jordyn was cheering them on, hoping that it will help them do better. She got her bag and got up.

"Where you going?"

"Washroom, I'll be back"

The team was loosing bad and it was the beginning of the second quarter. They were behind by 24 points. Now I understand why Jordyn was scared that they might lose, this school was elite.

A while later, Jordyn came back. She had her cast off, uniform on, shoes and socks on, and her hair in a ponytail. Everyone in the gym started to clap and cheer. Her parents looked at me and I shook my head and shrugged.

The coach put her on and she got the team 12 points. Every time she got the ball, she made a three. The other team substituted their point guard and Jordyn's facial expression changed. She looked more mad than scared.

We caught up and started leading 57-49. The other point guard crossed Jordyn, almost making her fall. Knowing Jordyn, I know she's getting her back harder.

At the end of the last quarter, Jordyn used my confusing handle trick on the girl that crossed her making her trip and fall. The crowd went wild and she made an easy three winning the game.

She ran and jumped on me. She had a big smile on too. She hugged me so tight that I could feel her heart beat. A woman in a blue sweater with a D on it came to us.

"Jordyn Miller. Hi, I'm Linda Terrace. Basketball coach of Duke University for their women's basketball team. You played an amazing game today."

"Thank you"

"We need more people like you on our team. What do you say?"

"I'll think about it, thank you"

We went out to celebrate. I got a call from Isaiah. He was talking so fast the only word I heard was Jordyn's name.

"Yo bro slow down"

"Is Jordyn okay?"

"Yea she's fine, she's right here"

"Make sure she's safe until you guys get back"

"What's going on?"

"They're in LA"

"Who?"

"The niggas who tried to take Alesha, raped Amari's sister, killed Michael's step sis. They're coming for Jordyn."

I looked at Jordyn who was smiling and laughing with everyone. I'll do everything to protect her.

"Alright I got it."

I hung up the phone and saw a shadow in front of me. It was Jordyn. She smiled and sat beside me.

"Why you all alone?"

"I had a call"

"Always having calls like a business man"

"I am a business man"

"Oh really?"

"How else would I keep you looking fresh?"

"I keep myself looking fresh thank you very much."

It got silent. We looked at each other and laughed. She took out her phone and went on Twitter.

"Are you a drug dealer?"

She kept scrolling down her tl. I couldn't answer that question. I don't want to lie to her, I never lie to her. I don't want to tell her the truth either. If I tell her, she might leave me & Isaiah's gonna bust my ass. If I don't tell her, she'll never know. All I have to do is keep her safe and out of sight from certain people.

"Well... are you gonna answer my question?"

"No"

"Why?"

"That's a stupid question"

"I just wanna know"

"Do I look like a drug dealer?"

"Believe it or not but I lived in the hood for a while. There were people who didn't look like they sold dope but they did anyways. I'm just asking a simple question."

"That explains the way you fight you little liar"

"I'm a lowkey savage"

"A highkey badass too"

"I'm still waiting for my answer"

"No. I'm not a drug dealer"

"Was that so hard?"

"Kinda was"

She smiled and kissed me from across the table.