8.

Dawn pushed open the balcony doors and closed them behind her. She collapsed into the bench and let herself cry it out. She was finally alone, she felt it was more appropriate to cry now. The girl looked up, taking in the sight of the stars, as her tears calmed. Kalos was beautiful.

The doors suddenly swung open and Ash stood in the doorway. Dawn's eyes widened, but she couldn't run, she was on a balcony. Ash closed the doors behind him and looked over to Dawn, who quickly rubbed her tears away.

"Dawn, are you okay?" He asked, as she forced a nod, "How did you find me?" She asked defensively. "I followed you out here to make sure that you're okay.. You looked so sad.." Ash confessed, worriedly. A tear rolled down the girl's cheek and she quickly looked away, trying to hide her face.

Ash caught a glimpse of her crying and sat down beside her, he placed an arm around her and she began to cry again. "Dawn, I'm really worried.." He sighed. The blue haired girl leant on his shoulder, trying to calm down, "I'm sorry.. all that wine... it's making me act weird." She admitted.

"You really worried me when you left like that.. Are you sure it's not something else that's bothering you?" Ash asked as Dawn looked away. She didn't understand why he was outside with her, when he looked so happy with Serena.

"It doesn't matter.. you're happy.. I've... I have got to accept that." She decided as Ash tilted his head, "What do you mean?" He asked. Dawn rolled her eyes at how oblivious he could be, before turning back to him. "You have a wonderful girl who loves you, and from what I can see, you love her back. You're both happy." Dawn trailed off.

Ash scratched the back of his head, "Do you mean Serena?" He asked as she nodded. The boy shook his head, "I don't love her.. she kissed me.." Ash trailed off, thinking back to that moment. Serena was almost certain that Ash liked her... Dawn must have thought so too.

"Ash.. Ever since I've shown up tonight, I've seen the way Serena looks at you.. The love she feels towards you is obvious. She's really brave for having the courage to show you how she feels.." Dawn insisted.

Ash put his hand on top of hers, about to speak but Dawn felt like she needed to get something off her chest. "Ash.. I'm sorry if this ruins our friendship.." She began reluctantly, "But I need you to know... I love you.. I always have.. There hasn't been a day that's gone by where I haven't missed you and our adventures together in Sinnoh.." She looked away for a moment, "But we live so far apart... I know it wouldn't work so I never told you how I feel for you.. but I need to be honest.. Ash, I love you."

Ash bit his lip nervously, looking up to Dawn as she turned back to face him. "Dawn.. my crush is you.. you're the one I really like.. I guess I could say love.. when you walked in tonight, the night instantly got so much better.. I was so happy to see you. When you left after traveling with me in Sinnoh and Unova.. I missed you so much." He trailed off, "Dawn.. I love you too.." Ash finally admitted.

"I know we live far apart but we can make this work—" Ash was cut off as Dawn pressed her lips against his. The boy closed his eyes and kissed back. He felt different this time, when Serena had kissed him, he felt uncomfortable, but with Dawn, he felt happy and complete.

Once they broke apart, Ash and Dawn locked eyes, Ash placed a hand on her cheek and caressed it. "We can make this work."