Page 1

"Though I've always been entertained by electricity I never thought my career would be what it is. Don't get me wrong, Sugarcube. I love my job but it's not a girl's ideal way to live."

Alannah was born in Georgia but moved during her adulthood to escape her past. When she was first born her parents were married happily, raising their daughter in their small country home. Her mother spent less time with her than her father, but each parent helped with keeping her healthy. She was a pretty relaxed baby, causing her parents little trouble. She stayed this way as she got older. As a toddler, she was very independent and only needed to be taught something a couple times before mastering the skill. As she matured, her mother paid less attention to her, focusing only on her beauty routine. Her mother was a beautiful brunette with the softest beach waved hair. Her eyes were a charming golden brown that shined in the light. She often heard her father refer to them as honey. Her mother's teeth were just as perfect as her clear skin. Even as a child, Alannah didn't get her mother's perfect genes.Her eyes were a full blue like her fathers and her skin would break out a lot as a toddler, more so as she got older.

"Harper, would you mind watching Alls for a couple hours?" Her father called out.

"I'm not your babysitter. I'm busy. Besides, what would I even do with her?" Harper replied, rolling her eyes.

"You're right, you're not my babysitter. You're her mother. I thought you said you wanted children?" He groaned.

"I wanted beautiful children, Clyde. You didn't give me what I wanted."

"That doesn't change the fact she's our daughter."

"Clyde. I'm the primary provider and I did what I had to when she was a baby. Want more help around here? Then give me a kid worth loving."

A year goes by and Harper got just what she wanted. A beautiful baby girl to smother with attention.

"Girls just look at her!" Harper exclaimed in joy to her friends. She often hosted tea parties, though they never included Alannah.

"She is stunning, Harps." The blonde girl said.

The other girls agreed simultaneously.

"Thank you dears, I'm sure my little Abbi will grow up to be quite the charmer indeed!"

"Don't you have another little girl around here?" One of them asked while peering around the room.

Harper scoffed, "I'd hardly call her my daughter. She's more like a troll!" She exclaimed before laughing. The rest of the girls began laughing with her. "Dont worry ladies, the troll is under the bridge where she belongs. She won't be bothering us." Her deep snarky voice echoed into Alannah's mind. 

The 4 year old girl was used to hearing her mother refer to her like that. Unfortunately, that didn't mean that it didn't hurt. Clyde wasn't a fan of his wife's behavior either, arguments were a common nighttime occurrence.

"For god's sake, Harper! You can't treat her like she isn't your own child!" He yelled.

"Well, she got the ugly genes from you! If it bugs you so much why don't you just leave? Take her with you while you're at it!" She yelled back.

He angrily laughed. "'Cause you could run this farm alone with your dainty little hands. Fucking grow up Harper. I'm too busy to take care of her alone while you do nothing but preen yourself all damn day!"

"It takes work to look this fucking good Clyde! It means a lot to me, okay?"

"Fine." He rolled his eyes before going to bed.

Soon after those many arguments Clyde began drinking to distract himself. Months pass with Alannah watching her sister smothered with attention and praise. No matter what she did she couldn't seem to please her mother, and now her father doesn't pay her much mind either.

"Clyde! I'm running to Peggy's house to grab a new moisturizer she wants me to try! I'm bringing Abigail." Harper hollered before opening the door.

"Momma? Can I come too?" Alannah asked. Her mom scoffed.

"No." Her mom closed the door.

Alannah just stood for a moment, staring at the door. Wondering, "What did she do to make her family hate her so much?"

"I'm not pretty enough..." She sighed.

Then she had an idea. If she could make herself prettier her mother would finally pay attention to her. She rushed to her mother's vanity. She grabbed a brush and one of her eyeshadow palettes. Digging the brush into her mother's favorite shade she smiled. She then applied it all over her eyes. Digging into the hot pink she then placed it on her cheeks. She grabbed her mom's masquera, rubbing it on her lashes. Finding her mom's reddest, most expensive lipstick, she rubbed it all over her lips. She peered into the mirror, smiling wide.

"Almost done!" She said looking at her hair. She grabbed a pair of scissors, placing it to her long brown hair, closing it right below the ears. It was choppy and uneven. Although being a child, she thought she did an amazing job!

"I can't wait till mommy comes home!" She exclaimed and sat on the couch in the living room. About 20 minutes went by before Harper returned. She opened the door, "Clyde! I'm home!"

"Momma!" Alannah exclaimed and ran over to her. "Look momma look! I'm pretty now!"

"Oh. my. GOD! You absolute mongrel what did you fucking do?!" She screamed, pushing her to the side she placed Abbi in her bouncer and rushed to her vanity.

"M-momma? Don't you like it? Do you love me now?" She sniffled.

"Do I what?! Alannah, I have never fucking loved you! And I never will! What have you fucking done?! You ruined my makeup, My favorite lipstick is smushed in the tube! How could you, you... you goddamn troll! Why can't you stay out of my life?!" She screamed, pushing her daughter to the floor.

Alannah began to cry.

"Don't you even fucking cry. You don't deserve to cry. You deserve nothing! Get out right now! I don't want to see your ugly face here again. Do you understand me?" She yelled.

Alannah nodded, sniffling. She ran out of the room and to the barn outside. Clyde watched her enter.

"Oooh shit." He said and rushed inside. He spotted Abbi in the bouncer and ran to their bedroom. "Harper?"

"Clyde, look what she did!" She screamed. She was on her knees holding fists full of her daughter's hair in her hands.

"God damn."

"I want her gone Clyde! She ruined my fucking makeup! She ruined my perfect life. I'm so sick of her disgusting face!" She screamed in tears.

"Harper, we can buy new makeup. Don't you think you're overreacting?"

"Jesus Christ Clyde, do you even hear yourself?! I said I want her gone! Be a man and fucking do it."

"I'm not dumping our daughter somewhere Harper." He yelled.

"Then I'm dumping you!" She screamed and ran out of the room.

He followed her into the living room

"Come on Harps, we can figure something out! I'll build her a bedroom in the barn. Don't leave me." He begged.

She sighed and looked at him angrily.

"Swear to me that this is the last time you'll pick her over me." She crossed her arms and arched her brows.

"I swear babe. You're the best thing that happened to me." He cried.

"Fine. I'll stay. Get her out of my house." She said before going to clean her room up.

That was exactly what he did. He grabbed his daughter's things and threw them into boxes. He carried them to the barn and set them down, heading to the hay pile Alannah was crying on.