Chapter 1

Juno

I roll out of bed sleepily

I roll out of bed sleepily. Nowadays I've been waking up at 4am. Everyday, without trying. It's exhausting. These sleepless nights are poking at my emotional stability.

I walk to my bathroom. The weather is gloomy and rainy today. As it always is here.

I wash my long golden hair. My mum had this colour hair. It was far nicer than mine. Silkier, softer and longer. Like a goddess. She was always compared to a goddess.

When I get out of the shower I have to pick what to wear for school.

I hear my father coming back from work and I go outside to greet him in our two bedroom flat

I hear my father coming back from work and I go outside to greet him in our two bedroom flat. "Hey," I say and he gives me a look in return "I made some pasta last night, its on the cooker, just heat it up."

He nods and I return to my room to do my makeup and pack my bag. My dad eats and then goes to his room to sleep before his next long night shift as a truck driver.

I miss him. I know he's right there, in the next room. But he feels like a stranger most of the time. The couple of minutes I ever even get to communicate with him, he's exhausted and barely speaks.

Besides, he hasn't been the same since mom died. It's been five years and he hasn't returned. I don't know if he'll ever come back.

I suddenly smell smoke and jump up. Shit. My dad left the cooker on again. The remaining pasta is burnt. I was going to have that for lunch today instead of school lunch. I sigh.

I have work after school today and after that I'll go grocery shopping. Everything's empty here. The fridge, and the souls.

I put on a big warm jacket and scarf, before grabbing my bag and leaving.

It's a twenty to thirty minute walk to school from the flat. The bus takes a lot less time but I'd rather walk, and save money.

I kind of enjoy the walk to school anyway. I just listen to music.