Chapter I

"Princess, it's the Queen's orders. You have to put it on," The maid says, trying to make me wear the dress. Humph. Let me see them try!

"Why can't I wear some other dress!? There are plenty more in the closet that don't look...like that monstrosity!" I point to the double doors of the walk-in closet.

In all honesty, I am not being stubborn. Well I am but I have a good reason! They want me to wear this huge and very uncomfortable looking dress. "It's not like I'm getting married today! It's just the selection!"

The maids sigh. "Guess we'll just have to do with the backup dress the Queen provided," One of them says and goes off somewhere. Probably to get the back up dress.

I raise my fist up victoriously just as the maid comes back in. "Yes!.....NO! I mean," I cough into my fist that is now in front of my mouth. "Yay....!" The backup dress is not something I'd willingly wear but at least it's not as horrible as the first one. Knowing the maids, if I showed too much dislike towards the dress, they'd end up forcing me to wear the first dress no matter how much I whine.

The top of the dress is a dark purplish blue. The front is embroidered with flowers. It has a small cape-like thing made of net. The outside of the skirt is also made of net. It's a purplish blue but halfway down, it turns white.

When the maid holds it up, it looks sleeveless. But I doubt it actually is. With what the king, aka my dad's, over protectiveness, I doubt he'd let me wear a sleeveless dress. So I'll just go with off the shoulder.

I wonder how my mom convinced my dad to have this as a backup dress. I mean it's not revealing but the sleeves are something my dad wouldn't want me wearing.

Anywho, I snatch the dress from the maid and go into the bathroom to change. For quite a while now, I haven't been letting the maids change me themselves. Like I have a pair of perfectly working hands and legs for a reason!

(Small A/N: Her dress is given at the bottom of the chapter!)

Turns out the dress, indeed, is off the shoulder. I get out and sit down in front of the vanity table. All morning the maids have been doing stuff with my skin. Now it's evening. I know. They've been skin-y-fying me for a long time. We started at 6 am and now it's 4 pm. Devastatingly depressing indeed. But you need not worry. I shall be just fine.

Anyway, now they are doing my hair. They bring my brown hair to one side and braid it. Then, they wrap the braid around my head and place a silver flower crown like thing on my head. Except they're not actual flowers.

(Another lil A/N: The hairstyle is also given lmao)

It doesn't take very long. After that, they move onto the makeup. Now, I keep telling them not to give too much makeup. But now I can't even see what they're doing since they won't let me look.

At long last, the makeup is finished and I'm allowed to look at the mirror. I walk over to it. For my eyes, they applied black cat eye eyeliner and brown eyeshadow. For my lips, it's only a nude shade of lipstick. And for my face itself, they dusted it with a light shade of blush. Nothing else. The neutral look contrasts nicely with my blue dress.

I smile to myself and turn around. "Thank you!"

The maids nod in reply. "You're welcome, Princess."

"Um..so. When exactly is the ball?" Now now. Don't think I forgot when it is. I just don't remember. Simple as that.

"Pretty soon. In fact, you should go and get ready to make an entrance."

I sigh. I hate making these stupid dramatic entrances. But I have no choice.

I walk over to my door to get out when a maid speaks. "Wait! You're jewelry!" Great. Just when I thought I could go without some stupid jewelry burdening me. "And uh..Princess? You do realize you're barefoot, right?"