ゼロ | prologue.

"  多才 "

" gifted "

"(name)." the voice spoke up, authority lingering behind her tone.

yet, it wasn't like what any other normal person would use to call out their underling's name. 

"you have further impressed us all. perhaps it's already time."

everyone considered you a fortunate soul. to be gifted with natural talents in swordsmanship and intellect, to be granted a vision by the god worshipped in the nation you now live in, to be favored by the gods who settled their humble abode in Celestia.

you are filled with bundles of surprises, envied by many for you have what they desired. your family would be very proud..

how pitiful. you weren't a child born in a warm-hearted family. the simple evidence of your clueless, weak seven-year-old self, buried beneath the thick snow blankets, everyone could easily tell how you weren't wanted.

with envy, came hate. even if you try your best to be perfect, even if you are perfect. people will still loathe you. they hold grudges against you, even if you never interacted with them before.

you tried to brush it off, starting with an optimistic mindset you weren't sure where it came from. yet, it just brought you more emotional outbursts and confusion. the feeling of not knowing anything, of not understanding why people would hate you just because you are "gifted", was nothing but dreadful.

so you made up your mind. 

you began to despise emotions, deciding to think based on logic and rationality. no need for sympathy or empathy, no need for pity, solely focus on your objectives. 

life is simply unfair, and there is no denying it.

no one will be on your side except yourself.

the society you previously lived in simply turned its back on you. even the gods pitied you, up to the point that an archon granted you a vision. 

you learned that harsh truth at the age of seven, just before she found you.

everyone never even knew where you came from, why would they bother to think that you were highly favored by gods?

in your eyes, the claim of you being a fortunate soul is nothing but a hoax.

the lower ranks were all left shocked and confused with their majesty's abstract words as you stalked forward from your group as per command. 

'time for what?'

but before the archon was able to continue, another voice interrupted.