Chapter 1: Senses Heightened

There was no feeling just a frigidness surrounding Olivia as she hung suspended in her seatbelt. She couldn't open her eyes. It was cold and bright. Bethany made no sound beside her. She should have taken the keys. The first party she had attended while away at school and here they were trapped upside down in a snow bank. Olivia wasn't sure if she should be thankful or worried that she couldn't feel her legs right now. They were just asleep was all, that had to be it. Soon she would get the prickly pins and needle feeling. Maybe it was just too cold. It was two weeks until Christmas and she was supposed to go home to California. Massachusetts was just too cold, she missed the beach. Olivia made a decision then and there. No one was coming and she wasn't sure if Bethany was even conscious or not. She began reaching for her seatbelt. Bright light seared through the car. Olivia's senses screamed as she sensed the extradimensional spaces around them opening. Hands gripped beneath her arms and pulled her from the car with little effort. The creature glanced at her briefly as it pulled her friend out and laid her gently in the snow. Olivia blinked realizing that her eyes were open now. The creature stood at least seven foot tall with a mantis like face and four arms. She felt herself saying thank you in her mind but could not form the words. They nodded at her and slipped back into the space in between. Olivia stared for a moment and then lost consciousness. 

Sound all at once bombarded Olivia's senses. She felt hands lifting her and strapping her down to something firm. She was roughly lifted and slid into a box. She opened her eyes and someone shouted, "We have a live one here!" Then the EMT began hooking her up and checking her vitals. A pen light was shined into her eyes. "Can you hear me?" He asked her. She nodded yes. Her throat felt so dry. Tears all at once fell from her eyes as she realized what the EMT had shouted. Where was Bethany? Was she okay? Darkness fell over Olivia then and she fell into a deep sleep. She saw the creature who had saved them in her mind. It was not the first time she had encountered such entities. She had seen stranger things throughout her life. There were many beings that traversed between the dimensions and occasionally they visited the plane of Earth. The places in between opened often as things slipped from place to place. Earth was like a station between planes at times. Older structures and places were riddled with the places in between. Most of the creatures Olivia had met were curious but kept moving. They were neutral in their nature and did not mean any harm. Not all are that way though. Some are vile and evil. Abominations amongst abominations.