Because of the Rain

SOOOOO, I ATTEMPTED TO WRITE A ROMANCE THING… I HAVE JOINED THE BANDWAGON… THIS IS JUST A ONE SHOT BY THE WAY!

  Because of the Rain

I stared out the rain streaked window of the bus. It’d be fun walking home in that.

I hadn’t made any friends today. If only my stupid parents hadn’t moved here. Then I would be in middle school with my friends.

It was bad enough moving to a new town. On top of that, I was going from fifth to sixth grade and the middle school was so much bigger than my old elementary school. I’d gotten lost like three times.

The bus stopped at my neighborhood. I got off and ducked a little under the downpour.

I walked down my street with my head down. I felt the rain running down the sides of my face already. I’d probably be soaked by the time I got home.

I walked down my street. A boy was walking in front of me. I was pretty sure that he was in my English and Science classes. I never caught his name.

I got to my house and opened my backpack to get my keys. I dug around but didn’t find them. I’d sworn I’d taken them today. How did I forget my keys? My parents wouldn’t be home until seven!

I left my backpack by the door and walked around the house looking for an open window, but I had no such luck. My dirty blonde hair were were sticking to my face. There were tears starting to sparkle in my green eyes. I was stuck outside in the pouring rain.

My two options were avoiding talking to anyone in my neighborhood, but I would be stuck outside. Or I would go stay in a neighbors house and be dry. I sighed. I didn’t want to go ask for help. Or talk to anyone here. That might’ve been why I had such a hard time making friends.

I texted my mother that I was locked out, then picked up my backpack and walked over to the house next to mine and rang the doorbell.

I heard footsteps patter towards the door, then a second later, it swung open, to reveal that boy who rode my bus. He had short, dark hair and freckles spattered across his nose. He wore pajama pants and a t-shirt. He looked at me with a confused look on his face for a second, without saying anything.

Then, he finally said something. “Do you want to come in?” he asked.

I nodded and stepped inside. I shivered a little as he closed the door.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I got locked out of my house,” I replied. I heard water dripping off of me and onto the floor.

“Um okay. I’ll get you something dry to wear,” he said. He ran up the stairs and came back a minute later with some pajama pants, a loose t-shirt and a sweatshirt.

“Sorry. These are my clothes. They might not fit you very well,” he said.

“It’s alright. I don’t mind,” I said.

“I’ll bring you to the bathroom,” he said. He led me down a hallway. I went into the bathroom and quickly changed. I had to roll up the pants a few times, but I felt much better after taking off the wet clothes.

I stepped out, and the boy was waiting there.

“Do you want me to put your wet clothes in the dryer?” he asked.

“Yes. Please,” I said.

“So, what’s your name?” asked the boy.

“Echo,” I said.