Ten

Heavy boots enter the sitting room. I wonder how I never hear that door opening when he comes home. What sort of work is it that makes him return home past midnight?

He stands in front of my couch for a while then moves to the television. I keep my eyes half closed as I watch him in the dark room. He turns and looks at me before turning off the television. I wonder  if he is trying to annoy me by turning off the television all the time. 

I grit my teeth and hold in all of my resentment. He picks a book I left out of the pile. His gaze returns to me then he returns the book to its place.

He walks to the couch and lightly pats my feet. It is like he is trying to wake me up. His hands are cold against my warm feet. I have to act like I am in a deep slumber so I do not move. He walks out of the sitting room.

I wait to hear his room door close but I hear nothing. Soon he comes out again and walks to the kitchen. He spends some time there ruffling nylons and maybe eating. If he is eating, I want to join him but I remain there, my eyes wide open in the darkness, hoping he does not finish whatever it is he is eating.

He does not return to his room. He goes into my new room. I really want to jump out of my seat now. It is my room and my personal belongings are there. Well, a few things - the clothes and underwear Zuri got from garage sales for me.

He seems to be carrying things out of the room. His footsteps are heavy and hurried as he walks across to his own room. I sigh and sit up. 

My stomach rumbles too loudly. I hit it and mutter, "shut up." It does not listen. It still happens again. I actually do not care about how untidy that room is. I just hope he rounds up quickly so I can steal or take food from the kitchen.

I bring out a knife from the teddy and play with it. Now it is familiar to my fingers. It comfortably fits in between them. I twirl it around in circles then put it back.

A door opens. "What's happening?" Zuri asks.

"Sorry to wake you, sleeping beauty. I just wanted to clear up," he replies.

" Is she in there?"

" No."

There is silence then I hear Zuri's footsteps as she walks to the parlor. I hug the teddy tighter and shut my eyes. Her subtle lemon scent envelopes the area. She stands there for a while then moves out. These two siblings seem to have a thing for staring at sleeping people.

So here I am like a central attention. People are checking to see if I am sleeping okay. It is new to me and I do not like the sense of gratitude and indebtedness I feel.

Footsteps return to the sitting room. He bends over me. I immediately rush up. "Did you just want to lift me?"

He shifts back and I can sense his amusement.

"I have cleared out the room for you." 

I nod and pull my teddy in between my legs. "I am hungry."

"You didn't have dinner?"

"I did."

He starts walking out. I wonder if having dinner means I can not get hungry early the next morning.

"Aren't you coming?"

He is standing at the door, waiting. I stand and follow him to the kitchen. 

He brings out a bowl and pours cereals into it. "Sometimes I get free packs at work."

I look on as he pours in the liquid milk and then turns it. He pushes the bowl to me and I keep watching him, wondering if he was going to feed me too.