Chapter Four: The Flame

After sneaking back inside Aden left to light the fire-roots, while Nuria waited patiently for the fire to reach him.

Nuria’s ears perked up at the sound of screaming, an incredible warmth flooding the halls, smoke crawling along the ceiling. As much as Nuria wanted to find his Mother, he didn’t want anyone to find him.

Aden opened the door to the room and motioned for Nuria to follow him. The halls were being eaten by The Flames, people were running this way and that screaming. The detective was helping people evacuate down another hall when he spotted them.

“You two! You did this, didn’t you?!” He screamed over the sound of the fire alarm.

Nuria formed a fire ball and threw it at the detective with every bit of fury he could muster, he didn’t want anyone taking this second Flame away like they had the first one.

The detective burst into flames, screaming and rolling around on the ground, it was a fruitless effort though, Nuria’s fire refused to be quelled, burning the man to a pile off black bones and burnt hunks of flesh.

Blazing heat encircled him, Nuria looked around to see The Flame surrounding him; they actually took form, shaping into a woman in a scorching red dress. She smiled at him and wrapped her arms around him, he’d then realized just how cold he’d been the whole time, welcoming the sweltering temperature. The titled floors sizzled and chipped around them as The Flame turned blue, growing hotter. Nuria could not have been in a more blissful state, nuzzling into the blistering heat. The Flames picked him up and roamed around the burning police station, lulling the newborn Fire Child to sleep.