1. The Journalist

Every day is the same. It starts the same and ends the same. I'm still wondering why exactly did I become a journalist? Wasn't there a better job I could do? I'm sure there was. A job where I could self-actualise, make progress and earn more money. Although, I must admit money was never an issue I would consider when thinking about my dream career. If I'm being honest all I cared about was being able to have a way to channel all my creativity and ideas. That's why for the longest time writing a book was my only dream and purpose in life. Unfortunately I quickly realised being a successful author will forever remain only that, a dream. I did not have what it takes to write a captivating book. Of course, my writing skills were good but simply 'good' wasn't enough, and so I gave up and chose what seemed to be the best next choice.
Journalism.
That being said had I beed given another chance at life, another chance to make all those important choices, would I choose something different?
Absolutely not.

***

I've sat in my office for what seemed like forever but a quick glance at my phone assured me it's only been 2 hours, meaning I still have another 6 to go. I wondered whether I'd be able to somehow finish work early even though I've already knew the answer would be a hard no. Unfortunately for me my office was just next door to my boss' meaning there's no way I could leave without him noticing. On top of that I still had a bunch of meaningless articles to write. Back at university I've used to love writing but I think I've lost my passion since then. That might have been caused by the fact that ever since I've started working all the articles I have wrote were centred around the k-pop industry. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against all the idols themselves but they were never an area of interest for me, same goes for the industry itself. I swear if I knew I'll have to strictly write about k-pop I would have applied to work someplace different, but my boss loved how I wrote said articles so here I am...

Funnily enough, I don't consider the stuff I wrote good, it's mediocre at best. Unfortunately the standards I hold myself accountable to were always exceptionally high. To put it simply whatever I do is simply never good enough for me. I think that's because I still haven't had my big breakthrough. That one big, intriguing topic that'll enable me to finally spread my wings and reach my full potential. But I guess we'll see whether my theory will come true for now I'm stuck in my tiny office, writing articles about topics I couldn't care less.

I sat at my narrow, black desk, trying to figure out what title should the newest article receive when the door of the room I was in opened suddenly almost giving me a heart attack. Seconds after a tall man wearing a white button up and pitch black trousers was standing right in front of me. His once black hair, now a shimmering shade of grey looked almost silver when the sunlight from across the window shone on him. His dark eyes contrasted heavily with his pale skin, you could clearly see the tool the time has taken on him but nevertheless he never looked tired and he was always smiling. The man stood there calmly examining the room, he was as stoic as ever. Never betraying what he's really thinking or feeling, but there was a mysterious gleam in his eyes which wasn't normally there, which got me curious.

"What is it boss? Would you happen to need something from me?" I asked, not knowing how I should feel. A sudden nervousness started to creep upon me but it quickly subdued when my the man in front of me started to speak.

"I've got some good news Leah, I've finally managed to convince Yang Hyunsuk to agree to my proposal"

"That's great boss" I smiled gently whilst trying to jog my memory to find any clues about the said proposal. After two minutes of silence which felt more like two hours, I've decided that my search was unsuccessful and turned to the man before me, "What proposal would that me sir?"

"Oh Leah, you never listen do you" he smiled and shook his head before continuing, "I told you several times that I have asked Hyunsuk many times to let me accompany one of his artists during their daily life for a short period of time. I have always believed that this will allow our newspaper to present a reliable, full picture of how daily life of a k-pop idol looks like. Finally, after all those years the old man agreed to my proposition, or rather, he made an even more intriguing proposal that I could not refuse. He wants me to accompany YG's biggest star on his solo world tour."

I've never seen my boss in such a good mood, sure he was still calm and composed but his eyes were full of excitement and I couldn't help but feel happy for him. One of his biggest career dreams was becoming true and it did make me feel somehow ecstatic.

"That's amazing sir, congratulations. I'm sure you'll be quite busy from now on then."

"Oh Leah darling, stop joking" my boss laughed softly and yet again shook his head, "you know full well that I cannot just leave my company and go on a world tour with some idol, and that is precisely why I'm standing in your office right now."

"You surely don't mean that I..."

"That's exactly what I mean, I told you many times, you're the best journalist I have. It has to be you!"

I could feel my smile starting to fade although I tried my best to keep it on. I have to be the least suited person for this assignment. I mean let's face it, I don't even like k-pop so why would I be the perfect choice for this? Ughh...So many questions but I'm certainly not in a position to be asking any of them. As any good employee I must simply do what my boss asks me to do.

"Of course boss, of course...Would you be kind enough to enlighten me who is the star I'll be stalking?"

"Following Leah, following. Or maybe shadowing would be a better way to phrase it. Anyway, most certainly not stalking", he shot me a stern glance before continuing, "I cannot believe you still don't know who is the biggest star in YG, sometimes I wonder if you're even the one writing your articles".

"My bad" I said quickly and looked away.

"Well, it might as well be a surprise."

"I guess..."

"Great, you'll be meeting him tomorrow."

After those words my boss turned around and left my office. I sat in silence looking blankly as the spot where he stood just few second ago, trying to come to terms with what just happened and with what still awaits me.

"Ahh shit I sure hope so this will be the huge breakthrough I've been waiting for..."