Chapter 05

"Glioblastoma, also known as glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), is the most aggressive type of cancer that begins within the brain. Initially, signs and symptoms of glioblastoma are nonspecific. They may include headaches, personality changes, nausea, and symptoms similar to those of a stroke. Symptoms often worsen rapidly and may progress to unconsciousness..."

I scrolled through the internet and read many articles regarding Bam's illness. Cancer is a known disease yet I'm not fully familiar with its stages.

I glanced over him on his bed, sleeping soundlessly. He's not losing hair, clearly he hasn't done any radiation therapy. He looked weak and tired, pale and fragile. Trailing back my eyes on my phone and continued to read, I heard a knock on the door before it open. Ms. Arlene and her husband.

They glanced at me without saying any word yet it wasn't awkward. I smiled in response, "He fall asleep early."

The time was 9 in the evening and Bam fell asleep early at eight in a midst of reading him a book. The couple went to check their son. After a moment, I saw Ms. Arlene stooped down to give her son a kiss on his forehead. I quickly looked away and continue to read on my phone.

I don't know how long they have stayed there and I don't know long I have been reading the articles without remembering a single details.

"Thank you. Usually, Bam is having a hard time falling asleep during night. He usually spent his daytime sleeping that's why."

I glanced at Ms. Arlene and scooted on my right of the sofa to give her space. She seated beside me before I heard a sigh of anxiety from her. Mr. V remained on his son's side, caressing Bam's hair.

"How's he?"

I put my cellphone atop my pillow and trailed my eyes to Bam. I don't know what to answer. What does Ms. Arlene mean? He's doing...

...good.

"He loves to be alone and didn't bother himself to find any friends. I once tried to set him up on one of my friend's daughter yet he's just obstinate to being alone. He told us he's fine on his own and he need not anyone on his side aside from us."

Looking back on my life, I swear to myself I don't need my family and a few friends is enough for me. Well, the situation is obviously different. And I don't need to understand him as why he refuses to have friends.

Ms. Arlene's eyes never left Bam, wistfully gazing at him. She continued on talking.

"After learning he has stage 4 cancer..." she paused and inhaled a courage to continue

I didn't say anything. She's not obliged to say those things to me but she needed to release some stress so I remained silent. Saying not interested anything about Bam, nonetheless, my ears was eager to receive more words about him. I felt my heart sunk with the cruel fate that befell him.

"I was angry how he just smiled the truth and told us we couldn't do anything about it but to accept it. I've tried all I could do to push him in taking any therapy there is just to prolong his life but he kept on refusing. In the end, no matter how painful it is, we have to accept it."

"That's enough Arlene, you should rest."

Mr. V strode towards us, carefully pulling his wife to stand up. After saying good night to me, they walked hand in hand to the direction of the door. But before they could moved out, I asked without thinking.

"How long is he going to live?"

They paused and together, they glanced at me over their shoulder. I didn't look away and meet their eyes, remaining on my feet as I stood up.

I wanted to know. After a moment of silence, I spoke again.

"I... I can be his friend."

I saw shock in their eyes. Before I could speak again, I hear Ms. Arlene's soft voice. "That would be great. You're his first friend."

"I promise to take care of him. As his personal nurse, and his friend."

They threw me a smile before finally leaving the room and closed the door.

Throwing myself back at the sofa, I let out a deep sigh.

What was that? What am I doing?!

I glanced at Bam and to my shock, I met his eyes, staring at me. I almost scream in shock. Seeing how I gasped, his lips curved up.

"Are you willing to have a friend who's gonna leave you any minute?"

"People stay, people go. Think of it as part of my service to you."

Even with the lights off, and only the lamp shade on his left side that give a dim light, I could still clearly see his smile on his face. He rolled and moved his body facing to my direction. "What if I die tomorrow?"

"You can't." I answered immediately

I saw him paused before he let out a light laugh. I trailed my eyes sideways, his gaze was making me nervous. His laugh was soft but it was as if it echoed in the whole room.

"Why is that?" he asked

"I'm your first friend. Aren't you curious what friends do?"

His lips formed an 'oh'. He then once again smiled.

"What about kiss? Can we kiss?"

I coughed loudly.

"Can we not?"

Just how did his parents raised him?!

"Why are you like that?" I asked without looking at him and settled myself to lay on the sofa.

"Honestly, I've seen my mom and dad kiss each other a lot of times. I wanna know how it feels. I'm just curious." he said without a care.

No doubt. It was his parents' fault.

"Go back to sleep. We can talk tomorrow all you want, rest now."

"Okay."

After a minute of silent, he spoke.

"Can you sleep next to me?"

"I'm just a meter away from you. I can move to you easily if something happens."

"Please?"

"Your parents were here, why didn't you ask them to sleep next you?"

He didn't answer.

"You're already 26, you can sleep alone all by yourself. I'm just here if you need anything else."

Silence.

"Besides, you should rest well tonight."

Not hearing a word from him, I opened my eyes. I glanced at him and saw him with his eyes close. He once again fell asleep.

I rolled over to his direction. I put my phone on the floor and took the chance to stare at his sleeping face. After a long while, my eyelids felt heavy not long until I fluttered my eyes closed and fell asleep.

I'm just here. If you need anything else.

"Despite maximum treatment, the cancer always recurs. The typical duration of survival following diagnosis is 12–15 months, with fewer than 3–7% of people surviving longer than five years. Without treatment, survival is typically three months."

I did't know how long he would live, but, maybe I could give meaning and be part a of his life.