Far Away

The characters belong to their rightful owners. This is just for fun, not for profit. AU and OOC for sure.

Author's note 1: Thanks a lot to my awsome editors @JJSin2020 and @CALActorsTypist on Twitter.

Author's note 2: The song is Far Away by Nickelback

Author's note 3: Thank you for your votes and comments, you are so kind to me!

The next morning after arriving at his office he asked his assistant to get him an appointment with the brand new vice president of the Nie Corporation R&D department. He was afraid of rejection, but then again, he had legitimate business matters to discuss with him regarding the Lan Enterprises' security system, which was set up and managed by the Nies.

He was honestly surprised when his assistant informed him that he had an appointment for the very same day in the afternoon. That was unexpected and he suddenly felt nervous...unprepared.

Being jittery all day felt so strange to him. He had learned a long time ago how to center himself, meditating usually did the trick, but it seemed to be ineffective when his ex-husband was involved. Time seemed to pass slower and at the same time, he dreaded the time of his appointment looming closer and closer.

Eventually, his time was up. He drove to Wei Ying's office and announced himself to his secretary. He was immediately led inside his office. Wei Wuxian looked haggard, his skin looked way too pale and dark bags were present below his eyes. His jacket was hanging on a coat rack in a corner of his office, a loose tie on his neck and rolled up sleeves served as a testament of a long tiring day at work. Still, he looked professional and serious, the reading glasses were an unexpected addition to his countenance. To Lan Wangji, he never looked more beautiful.

Wei Wuxian stood up and extended his hand to Lan Wangji for him to shake it. It was a formal greeting even the skin-to-skin contact of his hands felt impersonal. There was an invisible barrier between them that felt insurmountable to Lan Wangji. But business is business and Lan Wangji didn't expect less than a professional demeanor from Wei Ying.

"Good afternoon Lan Wangji," he greeted. "My secretary informed me that you wished to speak to me. How can I be of your service?"

"I..." Lan Wangji hesitated, "I wished to speak to you about the Lan Enterprises' security system," he said, shying away from his real motives.

"Oh yes, that is our priority project at the moment. I've been personally working on it since Lan Enterprises decided to entrust us with his security. Rest assured, we will deliver a state of the art system. You're, after all, one of our best clients. Do you wish to go over the specifics now? I'm afraid I'll have to ask one of our engineers to retrieve the information because I don't have it at hand right now, but..." he made a movement towards the phone, ready to ask for help on that matter.

"No need," Lan Wangji interrupted him. "I see this is not a good time for you since you seem to be just settling in for your position. We can schedule a presentation in the future."

Wei Wuxian looked relieved after hearing Lan Wangji's suggestion. "That would be the best course of action for us, thank you."

"I was wondering," Lan Wangji dared to speak again. "Can we talk somewhere else?" he waited expectantly after he uttered his request.

Wei Wuxian remained silent for a solid minute. He seemed to be pondering Lan Wangji's request with care.

"Okay," he finally conceded. "Does tomorrow at seven work for you?" he inquired.

Lan Wangji had no idea if he was free, but he would cancel whatever previous appointment he might have to accommodate Wei Ying's schedule. "Yes, it does," he answered promptly.