First Year: Aftermath

Most of the Gryffindors hung around in the common room, gossiping and chattering, all wondering who could have done it. The marauders, usually keen to be at the centre of any debate, all crept upstairs, pale faced with guilt.
Remus sat on his bed, staring at the floor. He had gone too far; he knew that. It had felt good, for a little while, and nothing could convince him that Severus hadn't deserved it. But now James was looking at him oddly, and he knew that Dumbledore would find out somehow – if Lily didn't tell everyone as soon as she got back to the common room.
"What happened?" James asked, carefully, "Did you lose control of it? That was really strong magic."
"It was amazing!" Sirius said, suddenly, "He'll think twice about crossing us again!"
"But... I mean, we didn't want to hurt him, did we?" James frowned.
"He's fine, he was just pretending, to get us in trouble."
"Will we get in trouble?" Peter asked, wringing his hands, "We didn't all do it, did we? It was only..."
Sirius slapped him around the back of his head,
"You rat." He said. "We're marauders. All for one and one for all."
"Whatever that means," Peter muttered, rubbing his head and going to sit on his own bed, sulkily.
"I did it, you lot shouldn't get in trouble." Remus said, quietly, not looking up.
"It was half my idea!" Sirius said, "I did the research! Don't worry, Lupin, I bet you anything he's fine."
"If he is," Remus said, heavily, "Then it's no thanks to me." He finally met James eyes. They were deep brown, and much more serious than usual. "I did mean to hurt him."
James held his gaze, and nodded slightly.
There was a knock at the door, diffusing the tension. It was Frank Longbotttom. "You four are to come to McGonagall's office, now." He said, gravely.
They followed Frank down the stairs and through the common room, where everyone stared at them. Remus looked at his feet the whole time, but he heard the chatter go quiet as they walked through. It didn't matter what happened next – everyone would know they were responsible.

McGonagall was not alone. Dumbledore stood beside her desk, his hands folded in front of him. He smiled pleasantly at the four boys who stood in a line before him.
"Good evening, gentlemen." He said.
"Good evening, headmaster," they all chanted back.
"You may be interested to know that young Mr Snape is quite well – though his pride has been rather wounded."
They said nothing. Remus didn't look up.
"He seemed to think that you four had something to do with his misfortune." Dumbledore continued, pleasantly, as if he was just passing the time of day. "Particularly you, Mr Potter."
James looked up, opened his mouth, then closed it again and looked down. Remus couldn't bear it. He only had three friends in all the world, and he wasn't going to lose them now. He stepped forward.
"It was me, sir, I did it. He said some stuff to me earlier, and I was pissed off with him. I wanted to teach him a lesson." He forced himself to look up, into Dumbledore's pale blue eyes. The old man nodded, satisfied.
"I see. You acted alone?"
"Yes," Remus pulled out his wand, "Look, I can prove it—"
"No need!" Dumbledore said, hurriedly, "I believe you, Mr Lupin."
"It wasn't just him, sir!" Sirius burst out, "I looked up the spell, I learnt how to do it too, it's just as much my fault."
"You mean you planned this, Black?" McGonagall said, sharply, "You planned an attack on another pupil? Ten points from Gryffindor. Each."
Sirius looked down again.
"And detention for all of you, for a month." She continued, "I find it very hard to believe that Mr Lupin here acted alone."
All four of them hung their heads.
"You may go, gentlemen." Dumbledore said, quietly. "I have no doubt you will all take the time to apologise to Mr Snape, of course."
Sirius made an indignant noise, and James elbowed him roughly. They turned to leave. "Mr Lupin, just a moment,"
Remus froze. He should have known he wouldn't get away with it that easily. He stood still as the others left the room, McGonagall following them out to make sure they didn't loiter outside.
Once the door closed, a still silence fell. Dumbledore didn't speak immediately, and finally Remus raised his head to meet the headmaster's eyes. He didn't look angry, or disappointed. He wore his usual pleasant expression – tinged with curiosity, perhaps.