Chapter one

Sunny was what you could call your typical teenager. She had long coffee brown hair and peach skin. She had light green eyes and a gap between her teeth that you didn't really notice unless you stared at it for a while. To say the least she was pretty average looking.

And the was the word that Sunny would use to describe herself. Average. Average hair, average clothes, average family, average life. It's what she was used to. Until she woke up for her first day starting her junior year, and first day back to a school in 3 years.

She felt like a freak. An absolute freak. She knew that everyone would notice her, or even worse, they wouldn't. This is why her usually calm, steady, hands were shaking with anxiety as she bit her nails to nubs, which was a nasty old habit she had thought she had dropped when she started homeschooling. Old habits die hard she shrugged to herself, then thinking about how that phrase seems very punk rock and thinking of all the old habits that just wouldn't die without a fight,and how maybe biting your nails wasn't cool enough to use the phrase for. Sunny did this a lot you see, thinking about topics that not much thought should be put into. Like what ingredients do they need to make the bigger ones, like the ones they actually put on the boxes because surely you couldn't find that organically and do dogs know that they're dogs and we are the masters, like wouldn't they be depressed to know they are a pet that can be bought and sold and they can never make their own money or run for president, then she would shift to thinking about dogs running for president. Her mind, for once using a phrase correctly, ran a thousand miles a minute. She thought so much that some times she didn't pay attention to any thing around her, which is why she didn't pay any mind to her mother chanting her name till they were already pulling around the school and into a space in the parking lot meant for parents to drop off the students.

"Last chance to come home,"her mom began"we can call the office and say that you had a sudden change of mind, or that maybe your aunt Betty is sick and-"

"Mom last time I'm going to go through this with you, I'm going to finish my last two years of school in an actual building, not plopped in front of a laptop with no pants and a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch" She sighed, getting slightly annoyed. She loved her mom to death but damn, this is high school not a bull fighting ring.

"But you love cinnamon toast crunch" frowning, her mom unlocked the doors. She bid her goodbyes and kissed Sunny's cheek and she could have sworn she saw a tear in her eye. Good lord.