Chapter 3: A Suffocating Charm

The acquaintance day arrived. Jovanni and the other freshmen engineering working students were told to go to the hotel early. They were assigned to decorate the venue for their department. Their theme was formal, so Jovanni packed his suit.

"Hey, Jovanni. Can you wear it now for us to see..." Gio teased.

"No. It's only one in the afternoon, our party will start at six."

"I'm sure you will look good in a tuxedo." Leandro said.

"I should be since it cost me money." Jovanni laughed." I only planned to rent a suit, but King insisted on buying it."

"It's wise to buy it for future use. There are many parties at school and we are just freshmen." King said.

"Yes. I also thought about it, so I followed your suggestion."

"Of course! And besides, you earn more than enough from your sideline job, so it's fine."

"All thanks to you for raising my service fee." Jovanni smiled.

"I am a good manager, so you are in good hands!" King bragged.

"Hey Jovanni, post some pictures. I want to see BU's engineering beauties!" The lover boy Gio, said.

"Gio, you forgot Jovanni has no social media account."

"Uh...!" Gio slapped his forehead.

"This guy is too dull!" King said. "You are the only one I know who doesn't have an FB account."

"But I do have google and youtube accounts. My phone is just for research purposes, so I don't need those social sites that would take much of my time."

"That's a hundred percent correct!" Leandro agreed.

King pouted. "Fine! You may go now."

"Okay." Jovanni giggled and went out.

"Have fun!" Gio yelled.

Jovanni and the other working students prepared the venue from one to five-thirty in the afternoon, leaving only thirty minutes for them to fix themselves. Jovanni was fine since he will only change his clothes. He was not conscious of his looks, but the others, especially, the ladies were rushing. They still need to do their hair and make-up.

Jovanni went to the restroom and changed to his suit. When he came back, there were already students inside the venue. Their department's officers and the master of the ceremony were already busy on the stage, reviewing the program.

Jovanni settled at the backmost table. He was timid and wasn't used to attend gatherings, so he felt a bit uncomfortable. He was fiddling on his phone, searching some architectural articles. Later, Carlo sat beside him. He was also a working student like him but was a Mechanical Engineering student.

"It's already past six, but half isn't here yet." Carlo whispered.

"Maybe, they were still on their way." Jovanni answered.

"Yeah. These wealthy students have the privilege of arriving whenever they want, while we were rushing like crazy after few hours of nonstop work." Carlo complained.

Jovanni just gave him an understanding smile. He wasn't used to talking to others behind their backs, so he wasn't able to respond. Seeing his unresponsive seatmate, Carlo took his phone and opened his Fb account, posting an update. Jovanni continued reading on his phone.

At six-thirty, almost all of the chairs were taken, except the frontmost table where the chairs were still empty. The officers and the master of the ceremony were obviously waiting for these chairs to be filled before starting the program.

"Are you curious who's seats are those?" Carlo, who saw his curious eyes, asked.

"Mmm." Jovannie nodded.

"Those are reserved for Kirt and his friends..."

"Kirt...?" Jovanni asked while recalling where had he heard the familiar name.

"Kirt Valdez, our dean's son. Who else do you think can delay this party for almost an hour..."

"I see..." Jovanni nodded. He was just an ordinary working student who only has less free time and wasn't also interested in social affairs that he even forgot the heartthrob's name.

"These entitled people are annoying, wasting our time!" The irritated Carlo whispered.

Jovanni only nodded again. Though he understood Carlo's annoyance, his inferiority complex made his patience and tolerance to other people high, so he wasn't annoyed like him.

It was already past seven when the 'entitled people' arrived. Kirt calmly walked in, followed by a group of beautiful ladies and fine-looking men. He was wearing a white suit that was perfectly suited in his slender body. Saying that this guy is dazzling is not an exaggeration. The ladies on the venue giggled, whispering to each other, while the guys can't hide their jealousy and insecurity.

At Kirt's arrival, the program immediately started. Jovanni was silently watching the performances in contrast to the lively crowd. Even the irritated Carlo was entertained. After almost two hours of entertainment, the dinner was served. Everyone was happily chatting while eating. Jovanni was just silently listening to Carlo and their seatmates' conversation. His social skill was really poor, though Carlo tried to include him in their conversations, he just nodded his head most of the time. It seemed that he forgot that it was their acquaintance party.

Almost ten in the evening, Jovanni waited for the officers' closing remarks to end the event. He was tired of mixing in a huge and chaotic crowd. Later, someone climbed up the stage, but it wasn't an officer, but the heartthrob Kirt!

Kirt looked at the crowd, then gave a very charming smile. He really knew how to use his charm. The ladies were ecstatic, whispering to each other with a silly grins on their faces.

"My fellow engineering students, nice meeting you all!" Kirt's soothing voice echoed.

"Niceee meetinggg youuu toooo!!! The ladies responded eagerly.

"Since we are given a chance to gather here today, let us cherish this chance and have more fun. Do you agree?"

"We do!!!" Excited and eager, they yelled.

"So, let us moved the tables and chairs to the side. Let us level up this party! It's my treat, so everyone should enjoy..." Kirt's alluring voice echoed.

"Yeahhh!!!"

The students excitedly moved the tables and chairs to the side. Jovanni's table was on the backmost, so they didn't need to move.

Jovanni wanted to go home first, but he didn't know how to exit without attracting his schoolmates' attention. He regretted why he sat on the back since he has no reason to go out. The venue was equipped with a comfort room and washroom. He is an introverted person with very low self-esteem, being in the spotlight is what he hated the most, so he remained in his seat.

The center was cleared briefly. Cocktails were served and deafening disco music was played. The lights were dimmed while few colorful lights were turned on. A disco ball that was hanging in the center cast colorful lights. Jovanni felt that his chest was going to explode from the deafening sound. He had never been to a disco before. He just heard disco music from afar at their town fiesta every year and has no idea that loud music can be suffocating!

Jovanni picked his backpack and bid goodbye to Carlo since he can't bear the tightening of his chest anymore. He was suffocated, so rushed out, but when he reached the door, someone stood his way.

"No one is allowed to go home!" In deafening music, an imposing voice was clearly heard in Jovanni's ears.