two.

The first browning leaves of autumn dust the cobblestone pavement, crisp as they crinkle beneath Jungwon's boots. The post office is just blocks away from his home, the white paint and redbrick chipping away after years of weathering.

Today, he doesn't have a letter to post.

He's there as Jungwon rounds the corner of the street to the post office. Waiting, as he is every year, for him, dark eyes soulful, familiar in the illumination as the first streaks of light color the sky.

A white-cream colored fox, curled up on the old wooden bench.

"Hello, Wooseon."

Wooseon gets up from his position and pads over to Jungwon, the tips of his ears barely reaching the boy's knee. Jungwon sits down, sweeping the stray leaves away with his palm before crossing his legs to let Wooseon sit.

"It's been three years, Sunoo." He starts off with his usual beginning, stroking the fur between the fox's ears with small movements. "This autumn will be my third one without you. It seems like it's been so long, doesn't it?"

The fox is quiet in Jungwon's lap, but he knows he's listening.

"It's been a good year since I last saw you, thank you for watching over me. I hope you're doing well now, where you are."

Jungwon doesn't have much time. He continues speaking quietly, telling Wooseon about the happenings of the year that has passed since they last met, his voice soft in the silence that lingers before the city has awoken from the night.

As the sun finds its position in the sky and the last edges of indigo and blue fade over the horizon, Jungwon stands up, dusting off the seat of his pants before going on his way. The first day of autumn has come, and Wooseon is gone.

22:43 Email from sunoo~: 30 Things I Want To Do Before I Die!

Jungwon barely had time to skim through the list once before his speedreading was interrupted by an incoming call.

22:44 Incoming call from Sunoo

"What's up with the title? You're seventeen, who are you to talk about dying? Also, there's only 24 things on the list, so you miscounted very terribly."

"Oh, you saw my email! What do you think? Miscounting aside, I mean."

"Am I seeing this right? 18. Commit a crime?"

The next thing to come down the line was Sunoo's soft laughter. "Life's short, Jungwonie, live to the fullest!"

"I can't believe you're trying to motivational-speech your way out of this."

"So, are you coming with me? You know, this'll be a year you'll never forget."

"Yes, I am. And you're so cheesy today."

"Okay and? You still love me."