Chapter 6

When Karen and I entered The Muse, we were not well received by the workers there, however, we made our way to a table and made it very clear that we were coming in peace. I had asked her if she knew of any other place we could go without the waiters or bartenders glaring at us, but apparently this was the only restaurant open these days.

As we waited for our drinks, I gave Karen an expectant look. She knew that after seeing such a terrifying creature, I had too many questions and desperately needed answers because those sharp teeth weren't exactly random.

"They're bloodsuckers." Finally she spoke, when she realized that I did not intend to forget the subject that easily. "I want to protect you from everything bad that exists here, okay? The less you know the better, but there is a possibility that one of them killed your parents."

I did not care at all at that moment, I did not mind sobbing so that soon those sobs turned into gasps due to the lack of air that was beginning to be present. The only thing that existed inside me was helplessness, sorrow and suffering. My parents deserved more, they deserved to die in their imperial bed with the certainty that they had achieved everything they set out to do, but instead, they died with so many pending plans that would never be carried out at the hands of an unknown creature. This was not their time, it was not their place.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" It was the only thing that came out of my mouth repeatedly.

I owed so much to Karen, for having been the best consolation and the best cure for all the pain that was invading me, for having been part of the happiest moments of this entire year full of tragedies, and especially, for being her.

"No need to thank, darling." She whispered, pulling me closer to her to wrap me in her comforting embrace.

"Shhh, we're going to figure this out, I promise, but don't cry! What if you tell me about... a fun experience you've had! Or tell me about your favorite music! Mickey lent me his cell phone and I recorded the song you were humming the other day, we can listen to it right here! Come on!" She tried to distract me.

That's when I understood that Karen was out of this world, she was something else, something beyond pure and sweet, because in the midst of the sea of terrible feelings that was drowning me at that moment, she managed to make me laugh almost immediately.

"Did you record the song? Wow!" I exclaimed weakly.

"Yes! I recorded a few that are my favorites, and I want to share them with you." She confirmed, taking her phone out of her coat's pocket.

I didn't know why I did what I did, I was so in need of her touch, no matter how minimal, that I wrapped my arms around her waist while resting my head on her shoulder, watching as she scrolled down her cell phone recordings. Best of all, she let me, in fact, I could feel her arm around my shoulder shortly after, giving me more access to hug her comfortably.

She selected a song and raised the volume a bit.

For you, there'll be no more crying
For you, the sun will be shining

"And I feel that when I'm with you, it's alright, I know it's right." She began singing along with the song that was playing on her flip phone, then she smiled with her tongue between her teeth. Karen held my chin with her index finger and thumb, as she looked into my eyes, then with her other hand she wiped away the remaining tears on my face. "To you, I'll give the world, to you, I'll never be cold, cause when I feel that when I'm with you, it's alright I know it's right."