Infiltration

Carlos sat at his desk in the BSAA, his knee bouncing up and down anxiously, since Parker had forced him to stop pacing around. His hand was clasp over his other that was making a fist, and his elbows rested against the top of the desk.

   Why hadn't Chris contacted them yet?

   Just how much trouble had he gotten into?

   Chris was reckless, but he wasn't irresponsible when it came to the BSAA.

   If he hadn't contacted them by now, Carlos feared something horrible had happened to him.

   And he'd never know if this case was related to Jill.

   But Carlos didn't know Chris all that well, either, despite their working together for 3 years. He was probably ten times more capable of surviving than Carlos thought.

   So why hadn't he radioed in yet?

   Carlos smoothed back the pieces of his hair that had escaped the haphazard bun he had thrown it into, but they fell back against his face soon enough. His hands returned to their anxious positions and Carlos sighed to himself.

   Parker, who was leaning against a desk with some other BSAA members, called out to Carlos,

   "Why don't you go for the day? Get some rest, relax. We've been here all night, after all." Carlos turned his head slowly in his direction,

   "Why would I do that?" Parker sighed,

   "Because it's taking a toll on you." Carlos looked like he didn't really care if it was or not. Parker's eyes became more serious as he continued to speak,

   "Because if we get a call in, and you're on low battery? You'll slow us down, and I won't hesitate to have you cut from the mission regardless of who's involved." Carlos' eyes widened slightly.

   "... I'll be fine. Okay?" He waved off an unconvinced Parker and turned back to face his desk.

   And then his phone rang and he almost fell out of his chair to answer it.

   "Hello?"

   "Carlos, it's Chris" An annoyed scoff left Carlos' lips,

   "About time, asshole. Why didn't you just radio HQ-" Chris cut him off shortly,

   "Keep your voice down. Don't let the others know you're talking to me." Carlos furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, and glanced over at Parker, Quint and the others. Quint was showing Parker a card trick and Carlos rolled his eyes.

   "What's the situation?" He responded to Chris, his voice lower and more discreet than before. Chris exhaled,

   "We're trying to find our way into a facility... Tricell. They're a pharmaceutical conglomerate." Carlos noticed his knee bouncing faster than before,

   "Okay, and?"

   "All we know is a woman named Excella is involved. And that they're planning something big and disastrous."

   "So you couldn't tell HQ that?" There was a pause, and Carlos almost had to make sure the call hadn't disconnected. But Chris spoke again, eventually,

   "I found a picture.. It's her, Carlos. It's Jill." Carlos' felt his heart in his throat, which was paradoxical to the fact that he also felt it beating out of his chest. His mouth opened to respond, but no words came out. He didn't have any words to say.

   "I think she might be in danger, Carlos.."

   "What does Tricell want with her?" Carlos spoke through gritted teeth, his voice slowly rising and it earned a look from Parker.