Chapter Thirty-Five

Melody left me alone while she handled a few things at work. Her words, not mine. I couldn't help myself as I reread Chris's love letter, clutching the deed to my house in my hands. No matter what happens. Did he plan to leave even then?

I wandered into the master bedroom, hesitating in front of the curtains before opening the large glass door and stepping out into the drizzling rain. It looked how I felt.

Sitting there and looking out at the mountainside, my mind wandered back to the first day I had seen this view. The best view in the city was all mine and the bedroom behind me was supposed to be ours. It was supposed to be the place I would one day share with Chris. I still remembered him laughing at me when I suggested he take the bedroom.

Everything was always for me. And that was what made everything make no sense. Why would he pretend to be doing everything for me and do nothing for himself and then just drop me the second we completed the tasks?

I had to get to the bottom of it. So I spent three hours wandering around my house trying to get ahold of my lawyer and seriously considered pushing him off a small vessel before I finally got someone on the phone.

"Law offices of-" the lazy voice answered.

I almost dropped my phone at the shock and cut her off before she finished. "Yes, hello. I spoke with Mr. Mattieu about dissolving a marriage and there's been a mistake. I need to speak to him immediately."

"Mr. Mattieu is not in at the moment, may I take a message?"

"No you may not take a..." I resisted the urge to swear, bouncing on the edge of my bed. "You may not take a message, I need to speak with someone urgently."

"Well... he's not here. I can't just make a lawyer show up, ma'am."

Sassy. Alright.

"When will he be there? He's made a very big mistake and I need him to fix it. Like, yesterday."

"Ma'am, I can't schedule you an appointment for today. How's next Tuesday?"

"He dissolved my marriage without my consent and now I can't get ahold of my husband or, rather, ex-husband to fix this whole mess and I need Mr. Mattieu to fix it!"

In hindsight, I wasn't very kind to a woman just doing her job, but it was urgent!

"Ma'am. I'm very sorry but I only have appointments beginning next week."

I let out a groan and threw a nearby pillow across the room. "Thanks for nothing."

"So shall I schedule you for next Tuesday?"

"NO!" I shouted before slamming my hand into the red button and ending the call. I miss the days of smashing the phone down. When I wanted to hang up aggressively, they knew it.

"I'm guessing that was unsuccessful?" Mel stuck her head into my room, sandwich half eaten on the plate in front of her.

"You could say that." I rubbed my temples and sank into the comfort of my pillows. "He's apparently unable to take a meeting with me until next Tuesday. Doesn't really matter, though, because I know there's nothing we can do. He filed the papers and they're finalized now. I'm divorced."

I took a moment to consider everything and then whispered the end of the thought. "And my husband gave me a whole house." I groaned. "I'm an awful person!"

"You are not an awful person. We can figure this out." She handed me half the sandwich and sat down beside me. "I mean, he loves you. I know he does."

"Yeah. Maybe. But how much hurt can one man forgive, really?"