Part 4

The following day, Maya's fever was still pretty high, hovering around 101. Vic groaned when Maya told her she wasn't going to be at work again, but told her she hoped she felt better as she headed out the door. Carina had to go into work for the morning, and she was on call in the afternoon, but she promised to spend the afternoon with Maya unless she got called in.

Maya was laying in the fort around noon, just listening to some music when she heard a knock at the door. She got up, figuring that Carina had forgotten her key or something. She opened the door, shocked when she saw her dad standing there instead of her girlfriend.

"Dad," she said, her eyes wide as he walked into the apartment, "What are you doing here?"

"You didn't answer any of my texts or calls," he said, turning and looking at her, "I needed to talk to you. Your mom has been filling your head with lies. And what the hell are you doing at home? I went by the station to talk to you and your "team" told me you were home "sick". Are you really that lazy and stupid that you had to take a sick day just because I yelled at you a little?"

"No," Maya said, shaking her head, "No. I really am sick. I have the flu. I think you need to go, Dad."

"You do not get to talk to me like that," he said, raising his voice at her, "What the hell happened to embrace the pain? And eyes forward? Did you just abandon everything I spent my entire life trying to teach you because you aren't feeling well? What is going on with you? Where's the kid I trained to go to the Olympics? To always push through and win? Where did that girl go?"

"That girl grew up Dad," Maya said, coughing a little bit, "And became a grown woman who isn't going to keep winning her medals for you."

"How dare you speak to me like that?" her dad said, yelling as he pushed a vase off her table, "I am your father. I made you. Everything you have, everything you are, is because of me."

"No Dad," Maya said, shaking her head, "I earned everything I did. I worked for it and earned it."

Just then, the front door opened and in walked Carina.

"Hey Bella, I brought... Who is this?" Carina said, stopping in her tracks when she saw Lane standing in the entry way.

"Carina, this is my dad," Maya said, trying to take a deep breath and realizing she couldn't.

"Hello Mr. Bishop," Carina said, going to Maya's side and taking her hand, immediately rubbing circles on the back of her hand as she sensed Maya's panic building.

"Who is this?" Mr. Bishop asked, looking at Maya, "Is this another one of your stupid girlfriends? God, when are you going to grow up and find a man and settle down instead of screwing around with this bimbo?"

"You know I'm bisexual," Maya said, "Carina and I are in a happy relationship. Better than any I ever had with any man. And now I think it's time for you to go. You will not come into my house and insult my girlfriend. Now get the hell out before I call the police."

"Shut up Maya," her father said, "You will not..."

"Get out," Carina yelled, "Get out of this house and do not ever come back or I will call the police."

Maya's dad looked like he was about to yell again, but Carina took out her phone and he retreated, leaving.

As soon as the door was shut and locked, Maya started hyperventilating, tears running down her cheeks.

"Oh Bella," Carina said, wrapping her arms around Maya, guiding her into the bedroom, "It's ok. I'm right here. He is gone."

Maya struggled to get control over her breathing, coughing quite a bit. After ten minutes of Carina trying to get Maya calmed down, the blonde was still in the throes of a panic attack.