Chapter 3

Naib's Pov

   I sighed, walking up the stairs. In our match I was the first to be found, naturally, I used one of my elbow pads to get away, but of course, today being today, I was hit before I could elbow pad away. The hunter chased me for the majority of the match while everyone else decoded. I got knocked down, because of course I did. Instead of getting a four man, we got a three man, which was fine. We still won, but I was sent back to the manor before they left the exit gate. What sucked is that no one tried to save me, even though Martha's job is also to rescue, but I guess she forgot.

   As I recounted the events of the past match, I heard a feminine voice call out to me. "Naib, wait up!" It sounded like the Mechanic. What was their name again? Tracy? I think so, but that didn't matter, they were calling up to me. I turned around to look down at them.

   "What?" I asked. I was not in the mood to chat, I just wanted to lay in bed for a little while and just, I don't know, relax?

   "Did you hear about Norton and Mike?" Tracy asked me with excitement in their voice. I wasn't sure why they were so excited. Plus why did they think I cared about Norton of all people.

   "No? Plus why would I care about whatever it is?"

   "Well first of all, they are dating! Second of all, are you not in love with Norton?" I felt my cheeks grow warm. Why would Tracy think I was in love with that jackass? Is he spreading rumours about me or something?! That jerk!

   "What did that jackass say about me? Of course I'm not in love with him!"

   "Why're you so defensive? Is it 'cause he's a man? Are you homophobic or just jealous someone got to him before you did?" They chuckled as I was getting flustered. Did they seriously think I was in love with him, I thought it was very clear that we hated each other, or I hated him at least. What did it matter anyways?

   "I'm not homophobic, and I sure as hell am not jealous!"

   "Jeez, alright, Mr. Defensive." They raised their arms in defeat.

   I sighed, turning around and heading up the stairs towards my room.

Norton's Pov

   "Mike, Mike, Mike... Why am I doing this? Why can't I just..." I let out a loud groan of anger. Why did I ask him out? Why did he have to accept? Why did I have to choose the one person I knew that would absolutely accept to date me? Why am I so damn stupid?! I laid in my bed thinking all of these thoughts, questioning my stupidity, when I heard a knock on the bedroom door. I groaned, calling out "Come in!" When the door creaked open, I noticed the familiar green hood. I sighed, flipping over in my bed to have my back facing him. This is so annoying, why did I have to be so dumb. "Why'd you knock?" I mumbled, but of course, him being him, he ignored me. I grumbled quietly to myself.

   The next thing I knew, I was dreaming as far as I could tell. It was odd. Naib was next to me, holding my hand. We were walking outside at night. A moonlit night. We kept walking until I saw him. Mike. He was running towards me with open arms. He wrapped his arms around me while I looked beside me. Naib was gone, he had simply vanished into thin air. Mike looked at me with his signature eyes. "What's wrong, dear?" His voice was high and sickly sweet. I knew, even in my dream state, that I was going to hurt him sooner or later as I am using him while being in love with another. The one who disappeared into thin air. Had Mike not seen him? Was he really that oblivious? Or was he simply ignoring the obvious because he's in love with me? Was he simply taking what he could get?

   I awoke in a cold sweat. I had self-sabotaged myself. I had dived head first into the shallow end. What had I just gotten myself into?