4

I was anxious the whole rest of the week. My body felt like it had a bunch of fire ants crawling through my skin. I couldn't sleep at night either. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see everything I wanted to forget. It constantly felt like someone was outside my window. For the first time, I became afraid of the dark.

First period didn't help when Darren decided to corner me and ask me more questions.

"You know I hooked up with her freshman year." He said proudly. I huffed and contemplated moving seats. He was just a sick freak. Looking to be the center of attention as if a girl wasn't dead. "Yeah? Does that get your rocks off Darren? Talking about your hook up with the dead girl?" Arden snapped. This was as much as I've ever heard him speak. It was scarily odd. "The cops are still in the front office asking people questions. Sure you don't wanna go tell them instead?"

"Whatever. Freak." Darren snapped his book closed and turned around. I looked over my shoulder at Arden.

"Thank you." I whispered to him. He shrugged. "No big deal." It was like he had a permanent scowl on his face. Dark and gloomy. While most guys seemed to be movie star quality, Arden felt more like the front cover of a Hard Rock magazine. He was interesting that's for sure. Part of me wanted to know what he was writing in his notebooks. Or why he was sticking up for me all the sudden.

I realized I had been going to school with him since kindergarten and knew absolutely nothing about him.

I met Ali for lunch but couldn't stomach anything. She didn't even seem to notice when I zoned out, just listening to her talk. I just wanted to go home to my bed but I promised Ali she could spend the night. Maybe it would be good for me to have someone else there. She planned Christmas movies and brought over her matching pajamas we bought last year. It would be like old times.

After school, I met her in the hallway. While waiting, I spotted Arden at the end, shoving things in his locker. He looked over at me for a second before shutting his locker and walking away. I shook it off.

"Oh! And I know you like your Christmas horror movies so I'm thinking maybe that Krampus one? Or Black Christmas?" I knew she was trying to be nice after earlier this weeks fight but I suddenly didn't feel like blood and guts. I shook my head at her and opened the front doors. "Oh that's okay. I'm not really feeling it. But we can watch Elf or maybe one of those Hallmark movies you like." Ali gasped and grabbed my hand. "That's a first. But I won't fight it."

My eyes scanned the student parking lot and noticed a familiar red hair standing out of the crowd, talking to police officers. My stomach dropped into my feet with a sudden bought of nerves. It was Nora's mother. Their hair was so similar, like their body type, if it wasn't for the obvious age difference, I'd say they're twins. It was scary. Like watching a ghost. It made me stop in my tracks when she turned around and caught my eye.

Mrs. Writhers smiled at me, and started walking over. "What is she doing?" Ali asked. I shrugged. "I don't know."

"You must be Spencer Grace." Mrs. Writhers said holding out her hand. I shook it delicately. "Uh yes. I am. This is my friend Ali Marrow. What can I do for you?" Butterflies were sent up into my throat, making it hard to speak. I knew she could tell my hands were shaking as we dropped from our handshake. "It's lovely to meet you girls. I- I was going to say hi that night at the..." She couldn't even finish her words. "But you looked so disheveled. I just wanted to thank you."

My brows furrowed, confusion spreading across my face. "For what?" I asked. "For finding my baby girl. God knows how long she would have been out there." Tears began to fill her eyes but she blinked them away. She looked exhausted, run down. I couldn't blame her. She lost one of her children in the worst way possible. Murder.