Chapter 1

Once, there was a very tall mountain, the shadow of which fell upon a very small town, covering it like a blanket. This town was the home of many, despite its small size. It was called Mistletoe, and the people who lived there were irritable and ill-tempered, for there was not enough food to make them satisfied, only enough to give them and their families life. The only part of this town which was not so unpleasant was a small area to the far west. This particular area is where our story begins, for it was different from all other areas. It was just out of reach of the mountains on all sides of Mistletoe, and was always very sunny and prosperous. The people of other parts were jealous of all abundance of crops and produce, which made them say horrible things out of resentment. People from other parts never ventured there, for there were rumors of a strange people who had taken up there. No one knew truly how different this area, called Caligo, really was.
At one point in time, there was a particularly peculiar person, in this particularly peculiar part of town. Her name, was Veronica, and she was almost invisible. When she went into the market, no one noticed her, or asked any questions. They didn't even ask her if she was from Caligo, and why they hadn't seen her before. Some people are just like that. Invisible. Young Veronica knew that if she were noticed, things would be different. She did not want to be noticed. She enjoyed living in the shadows. However, one day, she got noticed.
The day started out the same way it usually did. With her mother gently shaking her out of bed. She would then get 10 minutes to eat a slice of bread, and get ready for the day. Her mother would then hand her a shopping list,and chase her out the door with it, a red umbrella, (for it always rained in town), and barely any time to throw on rain boots.As Veronica entered the market, all was as usual. Nobody looked her way. They never did. She blended with the crowd, and slipped silently between people she did not know. She then walked calmly over to the baker's stand for bread. The baker tipped his sun-bleached hat, and returned to his business. That was about as noticed as Veronica could get in a week. She quietly set off again, and when she was done with her rounds, she began to walk home, as mysterious and she had come. Despite the red umbrella, and her bright yellow boots, no one saw her, and that was because of her magic. All people who lived in Caligo, did so for a reason; they had magic. Ironically, Veronica's magic, or at least, what she used of it, was to conceal the fact that she did indeed have magic. In Fact, to conceal HER. This, of course, implied there was other magic inside her, which needed concealing by this magic, (it is all quite confusing) but she did not think of this, and before this fateful day, she did not know the true extent of her power.