[THREE] FRIENDS IN ENEMIES

[[ People with clenched fists, cannot shake hands. - Indira Gandhi ]]

Walking was never my favourite thing to do. I wasn't one of those women who walked in their spare time. I didn't get a kick out of going for a morning stroll. I didn't find it theraputic like some. I used to sit at the window of my living room, coffee in hand and watch the morning people walk willingly and I'd laugh. Not that I thought it was humerous that people were being healthy and productive, I thought it was great of them. I'd laugh because there I would be - bed hair, smudged mascara that I hadn't removed properly from the night before; a fluffy robe, and a much needed coffee from minimal sleep - watching my neighbour from down the street walk in her designer active leggings and crop top - looking like she's fresh out of a Maybelline commercial.

And there I was wondering why I couldnt land a  boyfriend. The proof was in the pudding, really.

But while I was stationed oversea's, or had I of been deployed; I would always complain about my feet hurting - so much so that it irritated every person in my group. Even after years of military service, I'd always manage to find a way to complain about my feet hurting, or that the wind was hurting my ears, or that my back hurt.

That's what was going through my head at that moment. We had been walking back to this camp for what seemed like hours - evidently it had realistically only been an hour. Marcus clearly knew what was coming. He knew what I was thinking because he spoke before I could.

"Don't even think about it" He warned. "I don't want one complaint from you - understand?"
I huffed.

Way back when - when the world was normal and I was on deployment; being in action and rapid gunfire for hours on end wouldn't bother me. Even now, I could hunt for hours.

But walking... in silence... I hated it.

Rick stopped at a tree, inspecting it. "We're not far." He said, running his finger along a mark on the tree. He must of notched it, so they didn't get lost.
"Thank goodness." I complained. "I-"
"CC.." Marcus warned.

I sighed, following Rick and Daryl once again. I observed from behind as the two men walked ahead. The moonlight glistened, and there wasn't a single sound in the distance. I listened to our footsteps; every snap on a twig and every crackle on a leaf.

"Where are y'all held up?" Marcus broke the silence. Ushering his foot over the top of a fallen tree. His shoe's lace getting caught on the bark but springing free after pushing a little further.

"Still on the highway." Rick sighed. "We were aiming for Fort Benning. But the pile up on the highway was too big for us to drive through."
He stopped momentarily to turn to look at us.
"We were looking for supplies and a new radiator hose for our RV then we were going to double back when a horde passed through."

My stomach twisted in a knot. The hordes could be any size. From 10 to hundreds of walkers. Any size and any level of hunger. However, these assholes seemed to be always hungry.

We had that in common.

"We hid under cars while they passed through and it was looking promising until Sophia thought the coast was clear. She came out and a pair of walkers saw her, chasing her into the woods."

Daryl nodded, leaning his back on a nearby tree. He looked angry; impatient yet determined. I could tell that this man carried alot of empathy for others; both men did. Daryl on the other hand seemed to carry more. Like he forgave people easily; yet somehow would also never give you forgiveness if you truly didn't deserve it.

I could read people well, that was a speciality of mine. I thought I could get a read on people merely after a few words. Daryl on the other hand was different. I got a variation of different traits from the redneck; and by God wasn't it infuriating.

"Fort Benning is a ghost town" I sighed. "Has been since the beginning. People panicked, they ran. Other military just gave up, couldn't face the world. Can't say I blame them."

"There's no one there?" Rick asked.
"Not a soul." I sighed.

Rick pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. After a brief moment he nodded. "Guess we're back to square one" He looked at Daryl who simply nodded in agreeance.

"Sophia.." I began "She got any family left?" I asked as we began walking again.
"Her mum is back on the highway." Rick half smiled.

My stomach twisted once again, an instant wave of nausea. I couldn't imagine how Sophia's mother would be feeling right now. To have your daughter alone and lost in an area like the woods was one thing to be worried about; but during this shitshow of a world? It must have been agonising.

"Highway is just up ahead." Rick nodded.
I sighed of relief as we walked an additional hundred metres before ascending onto a bank; it was steep but do-able. We were stopped by a metal railing, separating the woods and the road before stepping over the railing and being greeted by a number of eyes. Confusion on some; resentment on the others. Like they couldn't believe that we were there.

An older woman; not too old to be considered elderly, but not as young as I approached. Concern and panick clearly evident on her face. Her hands engulfed in each other on her chest; a common way to ease anxiety. Judging by her behaviour, I knew instantaneously that this was Sophia's mother.

"Where-" She breathed out, scanning the 4 of us. "Where is she?"
"Her trail has gone cold, Carol." Rick began, placing his band on her upper bicep. "We will pick it up again at first light, I promise."
"You can't just leave my baby out their by herself" Carol cried. "To spend the night out in the woods!"
"It'd be no good out there in the dark" Daryl began. "We'd just be trippin' over ourselves. More people would get lost"

Carol muttered something under her breath in a panic. Can't say I'd react any differently in her situation. My heart ached for her.
Her eyes scanned to the bottom of Daryl's foot, more panic evident.
"Is that blood?" She questioned, pointing to his boot.
"We took down a walker." Rick said.

Carol began hyperventilating, the brunette placing her hand on Carol's shoulder in comfort.

"There was no sign that the walker had been anywhere near Sophia." Rick reasoned.
"How can you know that?" A blonde haired woman asked.
"Cut the son of a bitch open." Daryl said. "Made sure."

Sophia's mother let out a sob, rushing back towards the large white RV a few metres away. I could feel my throat begin to close up and my eyes to water. I didn't blame her for not asking who we were, nor did I care that she didn't. The woman was hysterical and the two strange people that Rick and Daryl had picked up was certainly the last thing on her mind.

Another woman; middle aged, brown hair, slim and pretty was the next to approached. She engulfed Rick into a hug, while a little boy, no older then 10 followed her actions.

My heart warmed at the sight.

The lady pulled away, and quickly reverted her attention to me. Her gaze was welcoming, but her body language hesitant.
"Who are these people?" She asked.
After the words left her mouth, other people started crowding in. Surrounding us.

Another man; brunette, strong build - also in a police uniform approached.
"Who are you?" He asked bluntly, his eyes bouncing between Marcus and I. "Rick... who are they?"

"This is Crimson and Marcus." Rick began. He told them about how I had met Sophia, and how history repeated itself, that she ran away.

The brunette man was next to look at my dog tags, and just like Rick had earlier - relief washed over him.
"You're military." He stated.

"Yeah." I nodded. "A1 Private, Crimson Carter; Defence force. Not that it matters anymore."
"What?" The man questioned.
"Shane.." Rick began. "Fort Benning.. it's gone, brother. Nothing left."

Shane's eyes widened, his skin changing to a pale white. "What..." He stuttered. "What the hell do you mean it's gone? That can't be true."

"Not just Fort Benning." Marcus added.
"All military.." I continued. "It's all gone. No refugee camps, no government. The military stopped operating the moment the mess began." I said.

Shane was the next to walk away in disbelief. The next few moments involved introductions, questions and a light debriefing on tomorrow's agenda.

I was determined to find this little girl.