Chapter 1

(((((     Anon/: This is my first book so please go easy on me but please point out mistakes and things i could possible improve. English is not my first language so i apologise in advance if mistakes occure. I aslo will be posting this on Tumblr so if you come across this story it might be me posting it  :)

>:) Have fun reading and please leave some feedback if possible!   )))))

The few strands of sunlight that had escaped into Charlies room made it impossible to fall asleep again. She was laying on her squeaking bed reading a novel that she was gifted by her Parents. Her sky blue pyjama pants reflected the sunlight and caused a dancing shadow on the wall beside her. A knock on the door made her jump. The sound of giggling was heard outside the door.

"Did we scare you?". A little boy with dirty blonde hair asked. He was one of the youngest in the Orphanage, Charlie had been staying in for the last 3 years. Her short orange hair fell into her face when she stood up, setting the book on the nightstand. "Yes D, I thought there was a monster!", Charlie admitted making the 4-year-old giggle in delight. "Miss Martin said I have to get you! Something important! She wouldn't tell me what!". The blonde scoffed crossing his arms. "Okay, I just have to put something on, but you have to get out of my room or the monster in my drawer will get you!". Charlie added making the little boy run away while giggling profusely. The 13-year-old put on a pair of old worn-out jeans and a green sweatshirt, before styling her hair, which consisted only out of ruffling through her fiery hair making it stand in different directions.

Going down the stairs was always a difficult task. The children running up and down the wooden stairs made no space for people. Squeezing past a little girl, she was tucked back on her sleeve. "Can you help me with my boots?" a little girl asked. "Sure! I just have to get down there!", she said pointing to the end of the stairs. Putting the little one on her shoulder, she went by another group of kids who were actively trying to throw a paper plane down the staircase.

The Hallways of the Orphanage or "Hell-hole" like most called it, were dim and dirty, nothing you could see but as someone who had to clean here, the mud stain on the carpet was immediately noticed. Charlie bent down putting on the girls boots. Immediately after she was finished the girl darted away in direction of the front door, probably wanting to play in the garden. Charlie didn't need a 'Thank you' from her, the small smile, or the candy bars that she found in her room from time to time were enough to make her feel appreciated.

Knocking on the old wooden door, Charlie straightened out her sweatshirt already regretting the poor choice of clothing she had done. "Come in!". The voice of Miss Martins made her shiver, she wasn't necessarily mean but also not a very pleasant person to be around. The constant snappy remarks, the judging looks, and the mood swings made nothing better. Hoping Miss Martins was in a good mood she opened the antique door.

"Charlie, please sit down!". It was strange being called into her office at this time of day, but the strangest thing was the smile that was spreading from one of her ears to the other. "You may have heard some rumours, about the old factory. Am I right?" Before Charlie could answer her, she continued. "Of course, you have who wouldn't! I have a concern I'd like to share with you. If you read the newspaper in the last day you may have stumbled across an article about the factory. What I want from you is Silence. Nobody, especially not the police need to know our little 'secrets'. Am I right?", she concluded giving Charlie a devilish smirk. Miss Martins knew that she couldn't say anything. This was Charlies last Chance, on more strike and she would be kicked out. "Yes" Charlie whispered barely audible. "I didn't hear anything!". "Yes" Charlie said a bit louder now staring directly into her brown eyes who were filled with hatred but also something that she couldn't place her finger on. Was it fear? Fear of being exposed?

Fiddling with her sweatshirt Charlie lowered her gaze onto the Oak desk, where dozens of loose paper sheets had found their home. One paper stood out of the rest. It looked like a map of some sort with a thick red circle orbiting the landscape. "You can go now and if I find out you told anyone about 'this'", she exclaimed throwing her hands into the air. "I won't hesitate to give you your last strike!". Charlie gulped and stood up trying to look calm, which she succeeded at. That was a trait she had inherited by her father. Always looking like the situation didn't affect him but having a full-blown nervous breakdown inside. They didn't leave much behind, only a few old novels and the sweatshirt she was wearing. She didn't know much about them, only how they were as a person and what they looked like.