𝐨 𝐧 𝐞

Part One

Just the Beginning

Song for chapter- JUST THE BEGINNING by Future

. . .

Ashlynn Solace

Three Years Later...

I once saw a quote saying boundaries define us and it has stuck with me ever since. Whether we do it out of protection or spite there's a wall we put up in defense. When I was little I never imagined my life coming to this point, I thought I would be living in a fantasy world where I would grow up with millions of friends and by this time in my life, I'd be hopelessly in love.

My bubble popped shortly after crushing my seven-year-old dreams, leaving me to do the only thing I can.

I set boundaries in my life- metaphorically speaking. Realistically speaking, I'm surrounded by them. I can't leave now, or any time soon in the future it seems. Eyes are always on me, always watching, breathing down my neck.

My lifestyle is working for my father. That consumes my days until the clock runs out for me, hopefully soon. My father- Harvey Solace- the man, the myth, the legend, the one everyone seems to fear. But I barely bat an eyelash at him.

It's as bad as it sounds but I've grown to be okay with it. I've been accustomed to our unique lifestyle for a while now. The question is do I ever want out?

The answer to that is yes.

Sweat begins to form on my skin with every movement that pushes my body, and my stamina, further and further. It sinks into my pores. Like a needle going into the flesh injecting dopamine into my bloodstream. My heart rate increases, waking every nerve in my body. It's an adrenaline rush in its own way. One that I tricked my mind into liking.

I push myself harder, my feet hitting the ground at a faster pace and using all my strength to use the ground to my advantage. I run to the music, pretending that I am running for my life. Trying to beat my recent time but I can't seem to cut ten more seconds off. I push myself to the point that my legs might give out but I'm in no mood to press the red button that's taunting me.

"Little Solace." I hear the voice over the music blasting from the speakers. I bring my attention to the man standing in the doorway that almost made me face plant.

"You're needed in his office." One of his personal guards asserts before leaving me to follow.

I hop off the treadmill, out of breath and almost dripping in sweat. Grabbing a towel and shutting off the music I head out of the gym and into the hallway, seeing the guard waiting for me at the end of it.

I join him in the elevator when the doors open. He looks different, maybe he got a haircut or a new suit. "How are you, Jared?" I ask him, genuinely interested in his life.

He glances at me from the corner of his eyes, his hands folded before himself, "I'm fine. How are you?"

"Same old same old." I replied.

Although the conversations are short and informal, I still enjoy them for the time we're in the elevator together. I know Jared is a good man deep down. He rarely ever talks about his family, his life out of these concrete walls, I wonder if he does have one? I doubt he would have the time to start one due to my father.

Noticing we still have a few more floors to go, I break the silence again, "Do you know what he wants from me?" It's not unusual for Jared to know my father's intentions, I mean he listens to all of the man's conversations. But when it comes to me he never knows what my father has planned.