The Sorceress and the Ranger

Chapter One: The Girl with the Red Coat

      Natalie Griffice was an unforgettable character. Her bright red fiery hair often burned with people’s minds long after they met her. While her sharp fierce blue eyes served as a frightening reminder to them that she was not one to be messed with. She often met people with a curt nod and a quaint smile, her greetings nothing more than a show of what an annoyance it was to her. After all she never spoke to people longer than necessary. It was always straight to business when it came to dealing with Natalie. Well most of the time it was. There were a few occasions where Natalie felt the need talk around the subject as of business. These were normally reserved for people who Natalie deemed to be scum. Which is perhaps why she chose to talk about several other issues with the man known as her father rather than the one the alliance assigned her to talk to him about. Which of course was about the usual: don’t use your magic for personal gains. Not that her father would ever learn.

      However it was on this day that a whole row of events would start unbeknownst to Natalie. Starting with the number one most important factor Jackson Nicholas, also known as Jack the Ladies Man. Or as soon know as the one mortal ever to remember Natalie; let alone that Natalie was not ordinary. You see, while Natalie was an unforgettable character, she was often forgotten when it came to mortals. Mainly because wherever Natalie left, she left  a quick Amnesia Spell that left any mortal there with only the remembrance of the dark blood red petticoat she wore.

      Today, today was a different story though. Why? No one would ever know. Maybe it was because of Jack’s oversized ego or his sureness of how he could always get the girl. Whatever the reason may be it all started when twenty-one year old Natalie Griffice walked into the lobby of L. Griffice Law Firm; right in front of where Jackson Nicholas worked as secretary.

      She walked in head held high, shoulders perfectly straight and laid back. She reeked of utter confidence and uninterest. Something that reminded people instantly of Lucas Griffice the owner of the Firm. After all not many people walked the earth as if they owned it. And boy did Natalie act as if she owned everything. She seemed not to care how loud or noisily her brown leather boots sounded off with each step she took. Or how nosy it was of her to scan the room with those icy blue eyes of hers. She even ignored Lucas Griffice’s panicking assistant Tyler who upon seeing her rushed to figure out who she was.

      Her attitude deterred most of the other employs who were watching, from trying to assist her; as well as scared the security guards who came to take her away into standing a fearful distance away. Each one of them stating that ‘she caused no harm, so they weren’t needed.’ The only person she didn’t seem to frighten was Jack who watched her curiously from his desk. From the minute she walked in he had been instantly drawn to that dark red petticoat of hers. It would be a lie to say that it ruined her figure, cause despite its bulkiness Jack could somehow magically see every curve and dip there was to her form. She was a beauty. A beauty he would like to get to know better. “Hello,” he greeted walking up to her.

      She spun towards him as if shocked that someone had the guts to come up her. Her blue eyes narrowed at him almost as if peeved he dared talk to her. Jack swallowed the strange hard lump that suddenly formed in his throat. He was half tempted to pull at his collar and see if it were too tight. Only that would be a sign of nervousness…plus he didn’t have a collar on this shirt. “You must be new here. I’m Jackson Nicholas, but you can call me, Jack,” he continued pressing for conversation.

      Natalie glanced over him once more before spinning around on the ball of her heel. Without another word she directed her attention to the back of the lobby where Lucas Griffice’s office was and left. Jack stood there, the hand he had extended out to greet her hanging in midair. He quickly recovered himself trying to hide his blush from all his fellow employees. The sight of his rejection caused bursts of giggles and laughter to fill the office. It wasn’t often that he got refused. Heck, it was actually nearly improbable that he did. So to be turned down in such away as that  not only embarrassed Jack, but thoroughly puzzled him.