An adjustment

Drip
Drip
Drip

His senses began to come back to him, first his arm, it was sore, bruised, and tired.
His legs, still there, thankfully.

His body? Still there.

He struggled to wake up, he finally forced his eyes open, his eyes burning from the blistering cold.
He looked around in the cold, wood floored trench. To his right, a Medic, and an Infantry rifleman. Across from him, a British infantry private, 3 US army Rifleman, and a Staff Sergeant, the squad leaders. He looked up at the barely visible sky, with dim stars. They were the same stars his girl he left back in America were seeing right about now. Feeling overwhelmed with grief, and loneliness he grabbed his zippo lighter, and a pack of smokes, he struggled to pull out a cigarette with his bulky leather gloves on, but he managed.

He raised the cigarette to his mouth, he popped open his zippo with a ping, and lit up.
He took a drag from the cigarette, the warm smoke giving him a tingly feeling in his chest.
"You gonna offer one or are us just gonna wake me up without payment?"

He looked over to see the British infantry private staring at him with a shit eating grin.
He responded back
"Not with that attitude you Black and Tan"
The British soldier replied "yeah yeah, whatever Irishman. Can I bum one?"

"Sure" the man threw the pack of smokes and the zippo, the British soldier catching them both.

"Thanks mate"
He began to light up a smoke, the tricolor Irish flag decal on the zippo flickering in the light of the cigarette
"No problem" the man muttered

The British soldier tossed the man back his smokes and lighter

Both men continued to smoke, not saying a word. Both of them enjoying the silence.

The rifleman grabbed a piece of paper from his pocket, he placed it on the M1 Garand rifle Stock on his lap, and began to write

"My dearest Margaret, it's on lonely nights in the trenches like this I think of you, and our time together in Santa Monica, we rode the train there, the Santa Fe El Capitan. We got ice cream, and watched the sunset slip below the frigid waves of the Pacific Ocean.

The man thought for a few more moments

"I wish to get home to you soon, the Germans are pushing an offensive soon, to in there hopes soon break our grasp on the western front."

"I promise to return home safe to you, and when I return home we will see to it that your womb carry the most beautiful little girl on the planet"

"When I smell the poppies in the summer I think of you, and your mesmerizing smile, I love you. And I hope to write to you again soon

Corporal Anderson, 4th Infantry"

"You writing a novel there buddy?"
The British soldier joked

"Yes, I'm writing a letter of my love to your sister"

"Fuck off yankee"

The Corporal chuckled.

The British soldier gave a silent chuckle.

"All in good fun, right?"

"But of course, if I'm stuck with a yankee I might as well get used to it"

"Whatever you say, colonizer"

This is my first attempt writing on watt pad, let me know your thoughts and what I should include next.