chapter thirty-three

"Hi! Are you the patient's mother?" The doctor asked Ryoko while her son was standing beside her.

"No, but I am her guardian for now," she answered.

"I see." The doctor nods as he adjusts his glasses. "The CT scan and other test results are back, and everything is fine. I didn't observe any damage in her head that could cause memory loss, although there's a type of amnesia called dissociative amnesia. It is triggered by traumatic events and overwhelming stress. Given what we know about the patient's case, there's a high chance that her brain unconsciously blocks information about something or someone that caused her trauma to protect itself," the doctor explained. Even though it is not really good news, Baji felt a bit of relief knowing that your results came back okay.

"The good news is, it's not a long-term thing, and she can remember everything with the right treatment. I'll refer you to a good psychiatrist," he added.

"I understand. Thank you, doctor," Baji's mother said.

You've been unconscious for five days. Seeing your condition, Baji felt so scared and, at the same time, angry, blaming himself. If he had just remembered everything about you, none of this would have happened. He wanted to hunt down the people who did this to you, but he didn't want to leave your side while you were still unconscious. 

He stayed with you, making sure that you were properly taken care of. Even if he didn't eat or sleep, he didn't care because he feels like if he lets himself take his eyes off you, he's going to lose you forever.

Letting out a long, deep breath of relief, the black-haired male glanced at you from the door. You're sitting on the hospital bed, looking out the window as if you're in a deep trance. There's bruising around your left eye due to cuts and swelling; your arms and legs are also swelling; and two of your fingers are broken.

Since you woke up, you've only spoken a few words. You've been trying to shut yourself off from everyone, but your friends, Toman, Baji, and Ryoko, are doing their best to make you feel that you're not alone. It may take a long time, but Baji is willing to do anything just to see your genuine smiles again.

His hands were clenched. I will kill whoever did that to her, he thought as his hands trembled in rage. Yesterday, they were informed that you were found unconscious twenty meters away from the hospital. They said that your cuts and bruises most likely came from torture, and they suspected that the torture lasted for at least five to ten hours.

When they try to ask you about what happened or any information to help them find the perpetrator, you'll just look at them without any expression and won't utter a word. If this is gang-related, I will find that motherfucker who hurt her, and I will make sure that they will suffer tenfold for what they did to her!

"Baji," Mikey called, causing Baji to snap out of his trail of thoughts. He glanced at his friend and approached him.

"Do you have any idea who did this to her?" Mikey asked. His hands are clenching, and his eyes are clouded with anger.

Baji shook his head. "I don't think of anyone right now. It could be someone in Moebius, Valhalla, or Tenjiku. This is like what happened to Pah's buddy."

"Dammit!" Mikey said in a firm tone as his jaws clenched in anger. "We will find who did this to her and make them pay!"

"Yeah."

You panicked when you saw Baji standing beside you when you first opened your eyes after what happened. You were so scared that you pretended that you didn't remember him. I don't understand why I did that. I didn't think straight! Stupid y/n, it's not his fault.