Chapter 17

- Do you drink alcohol? – I ask curiously.

- I am of legal age, you know. – Erwin smirks banteringly.

- Yes, it's painfully obvious. – I tease with an ironic smile. – That is not what I was asking.

- I used to drink with friends and fellow soldiers when given the chance, or when we celebrated progress in the battle against titans.

- I see. Would you like to drink with me tonight?

- Are we celebrating something?

- Nothing in particular. I just felt in the mood for a glass of wine.

- Do you drink often?

- Not really. I can't stand the idea of getting drunk.

- Did not think so.

- Are you now Mr. Know-it-all when it comes to my personality? – I arch a brow.

- I believe I deserve to be congratulated.

- Oh? For what?

- For my success in freeing you from your shell.

- That is pretty naïve of you – to believe it's that easy.

- Either way, I am on the right path. Or would you like me to prove it by holding you in my arms?

I throw a piece of the apple I was cutting at Erwin. He, of course, catches it swiftly and bites into it with a satisfactory smile.

- Showoff. – I murmur and shake my head, while a smile inevitably forms on my lips.

- I would gladly drink with you. – He says after swallowing the piece of fruit.

- What makes you think the invitation is still viable?

- Instinct.

- You're unbelievable.

- You're unpredictable.

- That's not true.

- Yes, it really is not.

- Do you have any special preferences for the wine?

- Not at all. I will drink what you find good.

- I don't buy that, but alright. In that case, you better grab your mask.

- Yes, ma'am.

I stick my tongue out at him. The cheeky bastard...

---

The line of people is so painfully long today. Everyone has pretty much freaked out over what the media is providing as information on the subject of the virus. Can I blame them? No. Do I agree with them? Not really. I am but one person in an ocean of people.

- Oh! I forgot something! Erwin, can you stay in line, please? I'll be right back.

- Alright.

I don't want to leave him alone, but this isn't something I can postpone. It will come whether I like it or not. I quickly move between isles until I finally discover what I need and grab two packs.

On the way back a voice I know all too well reaches my ears.

- Well, hello there, Princess! How is Your Highness today?