Chapter 2

Ajani POV

As soon as I fell asleep, I started dreaming.

Stupid subconscious mind.

I was taken back to my Uncle's cabin. He and a younger looking me were both standing outside, while Shira was sitting on the porch railing. The other me was leaning on his swords, taking deep breaths. My Uncle, Artemis, stood facing him, holding his metal quarterstaff in one hand.

"Ajani!" He said.

"Wha-?" Younger me looked up, still trying to fill his lungs with air. "Oh. Sorry. I was distracted."

"Yeah." Artemis said. "I noticed."

Other me stood there, looking sheepish. Oh gosh. This was back when I had short hair. Eugh.

Artemis could rock the short hair. I, on the other hand, could not. And I still can't. Artemis is tall, but not broad. His grey eyes are full of experience and his hair is short, white, and spikey. I guess it runs in the family.

Artemis stared down at me.

Hey! I was shorter when I was young. Younger me is like, fourteen, cut him some slack.

Other me looked back at him. "Uh, did you say something?"

Artemis sighed and shook his head. "Since you obviously weren't listening the first time..."

"Sorry." Other me mumbled, a smile breaking out onto his face.

"Ugh. Lift your sword up higher next time! You're leaving yourself open for a side slash!"

Shira rolled her eyes, smiling at us from the porch rail. Artemis whacked his quarterstaff on the ground, creating a loud THWACK.

"Don't get all smiley over there, Reythyra! You're next!"

Oh, did I mention he's my mentor? No? He's my mentor.

Oh.

Ok.

I remember this now.

It was the last afternoon before... No. Don't. Don't go there.

A sharp pain blossomed in my ribs. I moaned, rolling over.

Ajani! Wake up!!

Ugh. Shush, conscious mind. I'm sleeping.

Ajani!!!

I jerked awake. I quickly scanned my surroundings, seeing Shira's fearful look.

"What?"

Shira pointed at the water off to port. "Huge!"

"What is it?"

Suddenly, the water heaved. Two beady black eyes emerged, each as big as your boat. As the water rushed away, its red shell could be seen in the half-light. Its two claws emerged from the water, the same red as its shell.

"Oh no." I murmured. "The Crab."

SHIRA

When you hear 'The Crab', you don't ask questions.

You run.

Sadly, we were in a boat, so running wasn't really an option. Anyway, this THING had been following us since we left the island, so I doubt we could out-sail it. It was almost as big as the compound, not including its CLAWS, which were big enough to crush our boat, and us.

Fun.

The good news? I could see the shoreline. Maybe we could swim for it?

"Stay COMPLETELY STILL." Ajani whispered.