ii. the werewolf and the witch

Anna shot forward with a gasp, her heart pounding in her throat. Her clammy hands clutched tightly to her bed sheets as she struggled to catch her breath. This wasn't the first time she'd dreamed about Isaac since she left, normally the dreams were memories, or he'd appear in scenarios her mind played out for her.

But this wasn't a memory, and it wasn't a scenario either.

It was a warning, a scene reality was showing her to tell her what was happening to the boy she loved right at that moment. She knew it, from the feeling of being exactly in the moment as if she were awake and living it- as if it were a lucid dream she couldn't interact with. And the man Isaac was with, she knew him. 

It was Derek, Derek Hale. The born werewolf who's family passed in their house fire. She'd heard of him from a... friend, you could say.

Instantly she leapt out of bed, flicking her fingers. Instantly a robe flew toward her and she wrapped it around herself. Specifically, that was the reason she was able to see other places in reality- she was a witch after all.

She sneaked into Cato's room, checking that he was asleep before grabbing his stash of weed he hid under the floorboard to the right of his bed. She ran back into her own room and opened her window, climbing out of it. 

Once she was settled on the roof, she pulled the stash out of her robe, lighting one end with a small, "incendia" under her breath.  

She brought it up to her lips, waiting for the calmness to set in and ease her nerves. Anna closed her eyes, hearing her own heartbeat in her ears, the panic in her chest. She brought out her phone, scrolling through her contacts before she found the one she was looking for. She typed her message with trembling fingers.

"Hey. I know this is really abrupt and out of the blue, but I'm back in town. We all are. Well, me, Tal, and Cato that means. My parents didn't make it. I'm sorry I had to let you know this way, but it isn't the point of my message. I had a dream- that kind of dream. I saw Isaac, the boy I told you about, my best friend? He was with Derek Hale. He told him his dad had died, but he didn't do anything. I don't know anymore context, or what it means, but the way he said it made me feel like something else was to it. And I think something else is up. I think Derek gave it to him. I think Derek gave him the bite."

Anna hit send on the text with only a seconds hesitation. If it were under any other circumstance, she would've sat and wondered if she just made a mistake, but it was for Isaac, and for him she'd do anything.

"Texting the vet, are you now?" She heard a voice behind her. She wasn't startled though, she knew she would be caught anyway. 

Cato sat down next to her, gesturing for her to pass the goods over. She obeyed, blowing the smoke from her lips.

"I had a dream." She whispered. 

Cato looked at her, she stared straight ahead, a numb gleam in her eye. "It was about Isaac, I'm guessing."

Anna nodded. "He was with Derek Hale. But it wasn't against his will, he was looking for him. He told him he thought his dad was dead. I think someone murdered him."