Chapter Fifty-Six

Lupe's Prom Dress:

Lupe is a nervous wreck

Lupe is a nervous wreck. The whole dress and heels thing is a whole new thing to her. She even did her hair all fancy. Clean and sharp make up. She's never felt this fancy. And it's just prom. She lets out a deep breath, staring at her reflection. Her mother had helped with the hair and the make up. Things are still awkward between them. And likely will be for a very long time but they're both trying.

"Okay" She whispers to herself. Not thinking about that today. Today is about prom. Just focus on prom. Focus on Jasper. She nods and moves away from the mirror.

......

Jasper sits on the couch in Lupe's living room, a pink rose corsage held in his hand. He's nervous too. Prom is a reminder of the old debutante balls. He never got to be part of it. he wasn't upper class. Though likely if he had survived his military career he would have been. Oliver and Ashlee stand close by with Logan and Noah, fussing over the two of them. To Noah's annoyance. Because of the duality of their relationship, Noah and Logan will be attending a second prom tomorrow at Noah's school so they won't be staying too long tonight before they have to leave, to drive to Seattle.

"Wow" Oliver whispers as Lupe steps into the room. Ashlee smiles softly at her daughter. Stood there in her prom dress. Lupe smiles nervously at the two of them, shifting the dress slightly.

"So?" She asks. "Is this okay?" She whispers. Jasper stands from the couch, staring at her. She looks incredible.

"You look beautiful" Jasper offers from behind her parents. Lupe blushes a little and looks down. She's not used to being this dressed up. She's not sure how she feels about it. He's in a tux, all dressed up with her. A black velvet tie to match her dress tied around his neck. "I have this for you" He holds out a wrist corsage towards her and she smiles softly as she moves closer to him. Logan smirks a little, amused watching him. Noah is less amused. Still a sort of glare on his face. He's trying to be civil here. It is a special occasion. Jasper slides the corsage onto her wrist before he takes her hand in his. The two of them sharing a look.

"A minute, Lupe" Ashlee grabs her hand and pulls her away from Jasper. Lupe frowns a little as her mother pulls her to the other side of the room.

"What's wrong?" Lupe asks her, Ashlee shakes her head but looks to be on the verge of tears. Not bad tears. No, it's wistful tears. Ashlee never went to her prom. Never got her moment like this. She was a pregnant high school drop out.

"Nothing" Ashlee assures her and brushes her hand over her cheek. "Just.." She looks at Jasper who waits at the door for Lupe. "I think that boy really is in love with you," She tells Lupe who smiles softly and nods.

"I think so, too," Lupe agrees.

"And how do you feel about him?" Ashlee probes. She can guess. She knows her daughter pretty well. Lupe shrugs a little and smooths her hand over her dress.

"I'm pretty crazy about him." Lupe admits. Ashlee looks at her with concern, because they've been here before. "He's not Georgie" Lupe defends. She knows Jasper. He's different. He's not Georgie. "Mom...Jasper is different..."

"I just don't want you to get hurt again, Little Wolf" Ashlee whispers as she tucks a strand of Lupe's hair back into place. She doesn't want Lupe to go through what she did.

..........

It's not Jasper's bike that awaits Lupe outside, and she is a little disappointed but the more she thinks about it. The more it makes sense for him to use an actual car tonight. She looks at Jasper's side, curling her hand around his bicep, his lips twitching into a soft smile.

"Not your bike?" She teases, Jasper smirks and looks at her, dragging his eyes down to her dress.

"Whilst I am sure it would have been extremely humorous to watch you attempt to get on my bike in that dress....no, no bike, not for this" He leads her towards the sleek black sports car. "I borrowed one of Rosalie's" He reaches out and opens the side passenger door as Noah and Logan move across the lawn to Logan's sedan. Jasper leans on the open door as she moves to climb into the car, only to pause and turns to him. "What?" He notices her look. She gives him a soft smile.

"I love you" She assures him, he nods. A little taken aback. He's not sure where it came from. Though he knows it's a step. She's never said it first. It's a big step for her.  

"I know you do" He touches her arm and smiles back at her. "I love you too" He leans closer as if to kiss her. "I would kiss you" He stops short of her lips. "But that lipstick looks messy" He teases a little, she chuckles and nods.

"It is" She agrees, he settles on kissing her cheek instead before he pulls back and she climbs into the car. Jasper glances across at Noah as he opens the passenger door on Logan's car. The two of them sharing a look. Jasper knows that Noah is never going to be okay with him having a presence in Lupe's life.