Bless The Broken Road

Summary: Set in S3 and 4. Based on the song "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts.

*Sleuthing With The Enemy*

I set out on a narrow way many years ago

Hoping I would find love along the broken road

But I got lost a time or two

Wiped my brow and kept pushing through

I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

It was a nebulous night in the graveyard, as they stood in front of each other, but not very close. The Charmed Ones, including Phoebe, knew now that Cole's true form was Balthazar. Cole was his human half, because he was born half human and half demon.

"Why? Why didn't you just kill me? Why did you have to put me through all of this? Was it some twisted sick demonic thrill? Was that what it was?" she questioned him, needing answers.

"No. That wasn't it."

"Then what was it?"

"I couldn't kill you. I tried. I was supposed to. I mean, at first you and your sisters cornered my attempts. Even when I went back in time to destroy your line on All Hollow's Eve."

"That was you?"

"Then Trenton; Andres. I got him to strip your powers. To make you vulnerable. I had you too, right where I wanted you. All I had to do was finish the job. But I couldn't. Because I realized I loved you."

"You bastard!"

"That's the truth, Phoebe. I mean it. Everything else was a lie. But not that. I know you know that, too. In your heart. This isn't a mask, Phoebe. It's who I am. Who I really am. I'm half human. My father was mortal."

"You're lying."

"How else would I bleed red? Even as my demon self. You have to believe me, Phoebe. I forgot what it's like to be human; to feel; to care. Then I met you."

"This doesn't change anything, because you're still a demon."

"One who's done unspeakable things. But you've awakened something in me, Phoebe. Something I thought had died a long time ago. My humanity. My ability to love. I'll prove it to you. Vanquish me."

A moment later, he landed a ways away, when he was struck by a lightning ball from the demon hunter.

Phoebe made the quick decision to get him inside the mausoleum.

When the demon hunter, Crowley, came in and they fought, the hunter disappeared and reappeared behind her.

She turned around to face him and before he could use his lightning ball on her to kill her, Cole used his own, killing Crowley.

"Do you believe me now?" he asked, standing in front of her now.

A moment later, they kissed.

*Black As Cole*

Every long lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God bless the broken road

That led me straight to you

(Yes he did)

I think about the years I spent just passing through

I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you

But you just smile and take my hand

You've been there to understand

It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

It was a dismal night in an alley after the low-live gooey demon was vanquished and they both landed on some wooden crates.

He chuckled as did she and they looked at each other.

"Will you marry me?" he said out of the blue.

"What?" she said in surprise.

Later on, she accepted and they got married.

*Witch Way Now?*

Every long lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God bless the broken road

That led me straight to you

Now I'm just rolling home

Into my lover's arms

This much I know is true

That God bless the broken road

That led me straight to you

That God bless the broken road

That led me straight to you

After being vanquished, Cole ended up lingering in the Demonic Wasteland, but was able to contact her, letting her know he was okay and where he was. Then, later, he found a way to come back to life in order to be with her again.