Chapter 3

Six years old

"Happy birthday, dear Andrew," the team chanted, their loud voices booming inside the small walls of the tower. "Happy birthday to you!"

The shrill giggle that left your son's lips was enough to make you smile yourself. His new - and first - backpack was resting tightly on his shoulders, his hair gelled back just like he had asked earlier that morning. January 30th: not only was it his sixth birthday, it was also his first day of elementary school.

Andy had grown in front of your eyes more quickly than you had expected. It seemed like yesterday to you, when you thought about the first time he had met his father when he was three weeks old. And when he had first scraped his knees at the park, when he was barely three? The time when he had fallen asleep with his head in his plate at a team dinner?

You couldn't believe he was already slipping through your fingers, having his first day of school.

"We've got presents for you, Andy!" Isabel, the only other female lifeguard, kneeled at Andrew's height. "But you have to wait until you get home from school to open them, okay? Or you'll be running late."

Andrew nodded his head, smiling brightly when Reed, Terry, and Connor pushed a couple of gifts his way. The kid looked up at you as he struggled to hold the presents in his arms, your own hands grabbing a few to relieve him of the weight.

"You didn't have to," you whispered to the crew, watching the way Andrew's eyes shone with eagerness. Your own orbs fell on your watch just a few seconds later, noticing that you were close to being late, swiftly grabbing Andrew's hand. "You ready to go, Andy? Say thank you to the team."

"Thank you!"

A few 'don't mention it, buddy' and 'happy birthday' sounded inside the room just as you turned towards the door. "I'll be back in a few," You yelled, looking down at your son once again. "You excited, big guy?"

"Yes!" Andrew jumped lightly, opening the car door on his own. You helped him on his seat, strapping him in before sitting down in front of the wheel. "Do you think daddy is gonna call?"

"We will," you assured him, turning on the engine. You had texted Nathan just a few hours prior, and he had asked you to call when it was time to open the gifts, his included. The gift you still hadn't received and were more than nervous of not receiving by the end of the day. "You gotta open all your gifts with him."

You caught Andrew nodding from the rearview mirror, your eyes focusing back on the road as soon as you could. The school was coming closer and closer, your heart dropping more and more every second that passed.

The parking lot came into view, swarmed with children and parents ready to start the new school year. As you parked your car, you sat in your seat for a few seconds, taking in your surroundings. Andrew was ready to make new friends, new experiences; but were you ready to let him go?

"Mommy, can we go?"

Andy's voice snapped you out of your thoughts, a tight smile forming on your lips. "Sure, baby," as you left the car, you dropped your hands to your purse, bringing out your phone. "I almost forgot. Let's take a picture for daddy."

The kid smiled his toothy grin to the camera, planting his small hands on his hips. "Turn around a little so we can show him your backpack," you giggled, snapping a picture of the bag. It was firefighter themed, and it was the one and only backpack Andrew had wanted to buy, he didn't even look at the other options. "All done."

"Mommy, let's go!" He whined, gripping your hand to drag you towards the entrance. "Everyone is starting to get in!"

You sighed softly, following him inside the building, noticing some mothers and fathers that sported your same look. A woman in her thirties came to view a few seconds later, parents and kids surrounding her. Her eyes fell on Andy, a smile forming on her lips. "What's your name, honey?"