Chapter 34

Theo. 7:16 p.m.

When the car pulled to a stop, I sprung out of the car and opened Evelyn's door. We walked hand in hand up the staircase. She didn't seem as nervous as she was in the car. I pushed a button beside the door and it immediately opened. "Sir Theodore! And Ms. Quinn of course," said the butler with excitement. "Hello Wilson, it's been a while," I responded. Evelyn squeezed my hand tighter as we entered the building. "You must be Evelyn," remarked my mother who was standing dramatically on the West staircase. Her heels clicked on the floor as she walked up to me and hugged me. She scanned Evelyn up and down before reaching a hand out to shake, which Evelyn took. "Cordelia Gibbs. You may call me only as Queen Cordelia," my mother said harshly. I was afraid, nevertheless, Evelyn was pale as a ghost. Mum tried to keep a stern face before bursting out into laughter. "Oh goodness, I'm just joking!" she cackled. She reached in to hug Evelyn and smiled. "You can call me whatever you please. I will treat you as one of my own children. Welcome to the family, Evelyn." she said kindly. My mother left, and Evelyn and I had barely got to talking when, at speeds faster than I've ever seen before, my youngest sister ran into the room. "Gracie!" I exclaimed as I picked up the small little burst of energy. "Hi TT!" she said with a big smile. Grace cocked her head sideways as she looked at Evelyn. "Is that your wife?" she whispered, loud enough so Evelyn could hear. Evelyn giggled and so did Grace. "No silly. I told you about Evelyn, my girlfriend," I told her. "But hopefully maybe one day she'll be my wife," I whispered back into her ear as I looked at Evelyn blushing. With Grace still on my hip, my other sister Amelie walked in. "Oh so you're the one stealing my brother from me?" she huffed, in a slightly rude tone. Not knowing how to proceed, Evelyn locked her fingers, smiled kindly, and replied with, "I guess that would be me." Amelie looked at me and looked upset for some reason. She walked out of the room in utter silence. Evelyn and I sat down on a couch with Grace and talked. "So Grace," Evelyn started, "do you like lollipops?" My sister's eyes widened as Evelyn pulled a blue lollipop from her bag. "Yeah," Grace said in a mesmerizing voice as she received the candy. "She will be your biggest fan from now on," I told Evelyn. "Well I'm hers," she replied.