A Spell I Don't Know

Disclaimer: This is a fanfiction of Deltarune. I do not own Deltarune. Deltarune is owned by Toby Fox. Toby Fox reserves the right to hit this smol 1,500-something word story with a Cease and Desist whenever he wants, but Toby Fox is a cool IP owner and probably won't do that, so we can all create happily.

#

"Run away!"

Noelle trembled as Berdly stood against Kris, halberd in hand. He kept shooting spikes at Kris, but they either dodged or blocked every one. Why wouldn't he listen? If this kept up, it wouldn't end well for him. What Noelle had done to the others...

... what had happened to them? Kris had told her to use her Ice Shock spell, and... they were fine, right? O-of course they were. Noelle wasn't a... a murderer, and neither was Kris. They had just needed them out of the way. Once they thawed out, all those people would be fine. They would be fine, and Noelle was getting stronger every time. That was good, right? Getting stronger was good. The nightmare would end soon. Noelle just needed to get stronger.

Even if Kris ordered her to use Ice Shock on Berdly, it'd be fine. It wasn't fatal. Even if Noelle hit him, Berdly wouldn't...

"Snowgrave."

Noelle blinked. "S... Snowgrave?" She glanced at Kris, who looked back at her with an expression as cold as their voice. What was Snowgrave? Kris had never told her to use that spell before. She didn't even know what it was, yet somehow... she knew she had it in her. If she concentrated, she could cast the spell, but she had a really bad feeling about it. She didn't want to use it. She couldn't use it. Not on Berdly. Not on her friend.

"Snowgrave."

What was Kris doing? Why did they want her to use this spell? It wasn't safe. She had to stop them, make them snap out of whatever they were going through. "I'm telling you..." she whimpered. "I... I... I don't know what you're talking about."

"Snowgrave."

Why wouldn't they stop?! "I'm telling you, stop! I... I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Snowgrave."

Noelle scowled as anger began to burn within her soul. She didn't know what had gotten into Kris, but if they were so insistent on using this spell...

"... fine," Noelle said. "You want to see what happens so bad? Watch what happens when I cast a spell I don't know!"

"Snowgrave."

... Noelle raised her arms with her palms facing upward. Slowly, her body rose off the ground. The temperature fell, and snow began to swirl all around her. The blizzard intensified, filling Noelle's vision with whiteness. Her hair and clothes flapped wildly in the roaring storm. Berdly stared at her with wide eyes. "N-Noelle, what are you...?"

'No.' Noelle had always had a difficult time saying that word. She knew it was a weakness, but she could rarely bring herself to turn people down. She had always been too soft, too obedient. She... a tear fell down her cheek. She had always thought that Dad and Kris were the only ones she could say 'no' to, but now she wasn't even sure of that. The things she had done for Kris, she...

But was this even Kris anymore? They were so different. Since when had Kris been so commanding? Since when had they been so cruel? Since when had their voice been so terrifying? Noelle didn't know this Kris. She didn't want to.

Noelle felt something coming. The spell was ready. Noelle braced herself and...

She faced Kris.