Chapter 28

Grey sat at his table in the study room, staring out the window, a faraway look in his blue eyes. His table was stacked with legal documents, all requiring his sign of approval.

Just then, Evand walked in carrying a large painting. "I brought something over for you from Havenhall." He leaned the portrait of Rylee against the wall opposite of Grey's desk. Grey looked at the portrait, his expression unchanging.

"Evand, I miss him."

"That's why I had the portrait delivered."

"But now I miss him even more."

Evand only sighed before quietly leaving the room. Grey continued staring at the portrait, his blue eyes misty. Looking back down at the pile of documents before him, he sighed dejectedly.

Evand returned with a cloak, holding it out to Grey. "I've prepared a carriage and guards for you. I'll sign the documents on your behalf, but in return, you'll owe me. Big time."

Grey sprang out of his seat, grabbed the cloak, shouted a 'thank you' and ran out the door. Ever since the assassination attempt, he was forced to use the carriage for protection. Although it irked him, he wasn't going to take unnecessary risks. The carriage rumbled along the street with mounted soldiers in tow, until it reached a building under construction.

Standing amongst several workmen, a well-built blond man and an elderly man in simple robes, was a handsome young man, his pale blond hair pulled back in a messy ponytail. The group were discussing the construction of the new Healer's Building which would be the hub for training new recruits.

The old man was the first to notice the carriage waiting at the entrance to the worksite. "I think your beloved has come to steal you away again," Master Ern said, a mischievous grin on his wrinkled face.

"Ah, he's here already. In that case, I take my leave," Rylee beamed at everyone before hurrying away, not at all apologetic for leaving work early. The workmen laughed before continuing their discussion with the elder Master Healer. Liander rolled his eyes as he watched Rylee's retreating back, "Well, so much for treating me to dinner, Rylee." Liander was not too upset though, since his father and mother had arrived earlier in the week for a visit. His mind was already focused on the new dinner plans with his parents.

Grey pulled Rylee into his lap the moment he entered the carriage, kissing him fondly. "I missed you."

"Me too." Rylee beamed at him. "I wasn't expecting you so early. Didn't you say you had tons of paperwork to deal with?" Grey gave a smug smile, "Evand's dealing with it." Rylee snickered in return, "Oh I don't envy him at all! I still remember having to deal with all the issues in Blue and Aura when I was stationed at the lake mansion. It was just suffocating. I'm glad I don't have to be a prince anymore." Grey readily agreed, "It is tiring, even just sitting by the desk all day. I guess since Evand's going to inherit the throne sooner or later, he can treat this as practice."

The carriage arrived quickly at the royal palace, and the two lovers hurried towards the private quarters. They held hands while kissing, their laughter echoing along the corridor. Palace servants hurriedly ducked out of site in embarrassment as they secretly witnessed the king and his lover display their love towards each other a little too openly.

The moment they reached the bedroom, Grey yanked their clothes off, carrying Rylee to bed and placing him down gently before climbing on top. He kissed the scar on his chest before moving downwards, pleasuring him with kisses and touches until he was on the brink.

"Stop teasing me, I can't hold on any longer," Rylee whined, his body twisting about on the sheets. Laughing at the other man's impatience, Grey placed on last kiss on his hip before adjusting their positions.