-09 Thicker Than Blood-

Amanda

The party last night went better than she had expected. Everyone had a great time, even though Celine was there. Amanda knew she should have hated her, but somehow couldn't. Celine was older than her, in her late-20, but it clearly showed she was the more matured one. She asked around, discreetly of course, about Celine, trying to understand why there was not much hatred against the woman. But, no one knew anything about her except that she was a gold-digger. And these find folks couldn't hate her more than what she deserved, according to Dean.

But if she was money-hungry, why then her clothes looked like it came from a thrift shop? Shouldn't she be living in luxury by now, extorting man out of their pocket.

Amanda sighed and liftet her husband's arm from around her middle. She went to the bathroom, had a shower and wore her own clothes this time, track bottom and tee shirt. She headed downstairs and was glad it was emptied. The ladies needed a lot of rest after what they had done yesterday and last night.

When she decided to marry Maddox, she thought he would be a rancher with a small ranch, not as huge as this, completed with his own cook. She even imagined a sod house, not a two-story wood mansion. She was not trying to be critical but she had dreamt of managing her own house. Now she felt like she was in people's way. The kitchen's for example was Rose's domain. The garden was, well Amanda hadn't had the chance to explore it yet but by now she knew someone might already hire to tend it.

Then what am I doing here?

Being the lady of the house. That was an obvious answered. Her shoulders sagged, knowing she was supposed to be the good wife and maybe in the future, mother. She was never raised not to do anything. Since she could remember, she was always up and about. At least when they had kids, she would be busy with them. But until then, was she supposed to just sit around?

"Having a hard time adjusting to the rich and fame lifestyle are we?"

Amanda almost shrieked. "Monica, what are you doing up so early?"

Monica raised her eyebrows. "Have we ever slept in?"

"No, at this time we would be busy with the younger kids or helped prepare breakfast. Then we would be off to school or summer job." Amanda sighed.

"Kade and Austin went to the pond. Did you know you have a small pond? It's small for these people but looks like an Olympic size swimming pool to me." Monica sipped her hot chocolate.

"Are they going fishing?" Amanda asked while making herself a hot coffee.

"No, they're spying on Celine," Monica answered like it was an everyday thing they do.

Amanda stopped what she was doing and looked at Monica. "You're not joking."

Monica looked around; hook her index finger for Amanda to come closer and when she did, whisper, "Austin knows Celine."

"What?" Amanda stammered. "What do you mean?"

Monica got off the stool she was sitting, walked to the sink and washed her empty mug. "Let's make breakfast. You'll be the chef and I'll be the sous chef."

Amanda abandoned her cup of coffee, went to the pantry, took out ingredients for the breakfast she had in mind. She went to the huge fridge and did the same. She placed everything on the kitchen island and told Monica what to do.

"Well, aren't you going to tell me anything?" she asked after they were done with their first dish.

Monica shrugged. "Nothing much to tell except Austin knows her and she did not recognize him. And she's not evil."