i. prologue

NEGATIVE TWO HUNDRED MILLION WON

That was how much her husband drank and gambled away. Night after night, stumbling home drunk with empty pockets while she solely raised their daughter. While she, after she put their daughter to bed, roams the streets, offering sex to different men in hopes of earning extra money.

She never imagined the man who once used to work for a successful company and never touched alcohol would turn into the man she knew today. She kept up a good image to her parents and family, not wanting to burden them with problems that were hers to deal with.

Seohyun stayed for her daughter, six year old Jiwoo. She was Seohyun's pride and joy, and Seohyun would do whatever to protect her and give her the best childhood she could. She tried, but night after night debt collectors banged on the door, shouting threats at her passed out, drunken husband while she hid in the bedroom, comforting a crying Jiwoo.

The couple argued more and more. The relationship Seohyun tried to preserve kept slipping and falling apart no matter how hard she tried. She grew to resent the man she vowed to love and cherish till death do they part.

Arguments escalated to the point Woosung, in a drunken rage, pushed Seohyun down a flight of stairs while she was two months pregnant. A neighbor helped her get to the hospital, but it was too late and she lost the baby. She didn't sleep that night, instead she cried for the unborn child that her husband took from her.

She dreamed of a life where she was free. She wanted to save enough money and move her and Jiwoo out of there, and meet someone who actually would love her. Yet, all the money she managed to bring home went into Woosung's drinking addiction so it all became a relentless cycle.

Until, Seohyun found herself approached by a strange man with a briefcase wanting her to play a game.