Airplanes - 5 Seconds of Summer

I sighed as I nestled back into my seat. plugging my headphones into my ears and letting the familiar music consume me whist I checked the time on my phone and brought my knees to my chest. The plane was loud and small, but rather empty. Nobody boards a plane bound for Paris at three o'clock in the morning, on a Tuesday, nobody but me... And a few other people that were spread out across the rather spacious cabin. I gazed at the man diagonally to the left of me, he was tall with a white beard who sat upright in his chair. Perhaps he was travelling to a workplace? I deduced from his smart suit and briefcase. Or perhaps he's flying to stop a wedding between his love affair and her fiancé. I smiled at the silly suggestion and leant my head against the small airplane window.

Below me, thousands of lights gleamed up at me, lightening the whole of London during the otherwise dark night. Tiny dots of yellows, oranges, pinks and whites produced a painting of the city that never sleeps. Constantly flowing and moving like a river, winding and turning through the far off countryside. I could see an ambulance and two police cars racing through a street below, their lights flashing in emergency and I thought, for a moment, I could hear the sirens piercing through my ears.

I couldn't believe this. I had been planning for this since I was a kid and as soon as I had gotten paid, I decided today was the day. I had to take my chance before it was too late So I had bought the first flight ticket I could, hurriedly packed my important belongings and hailed the first taxi I saw to London Heathrow Airport. I felt so small and insignificant before boarding. But now, looking down over the foreign city I had spent my whole life in. I had a sudden wave of adrenaline, I felt it rushing from my heart, sending fiery electric currents down to my fingertips, my veins its circuit and I the source, I can do anything after this, change my name, create a whole new life for myself. I was finally getting away from the weight of memories, reoccurrences and reassurances that dragged and pulled me down, clipping my wings of freedom forcing me to live in my make believe worlds for decades. I grinned to myself at the thought and chuckled softly 'New country, New me' I thought. This was it. The start of my new life.