Untitled Part 2

2

Over late-night drinks Gemma shared her day's adventures with her flat mates Tess and Becca. "Oh Sweetie, you ain't getting that job," Tess said downing her drink. Around the trio, the bar was pulsating with warm bodies. Everybody was out having a fun time, and the girls had to sit almost on top of each other to be heard. Becca snorted and laughing nodded her head emphatically.

"But I really wanted to work for that company." Her eyes brightened, "hey he might be a nobody, a peon."

"Oh sweetie." Tess shook her head as she looked up from her phone. "I repeat, you are not getting this job. Do you really not know who White Shirt is?" Tess turned her phone so that Gemma could see the small black and white photo.

"Is that him?" Becca snatched the phone from both their hands and hungrily began looking at the picture. "Oh, he's pretty," she growled.

"My goodness, you are scary! How on earth did you find him? I didn't even know his name." Jemma took the phone back and stared at the man's face. In the photo he was caught in mid laugh. His head was thrown back and he was standing between a pleased elderly Asian man and a beautiful woman whose arrogant stare dominated the picture. Her eyes scanned the black and white newspaper picture and she read that his name was Jaehyun Jung, and the older gentleman was his grandfather, Sung Ho Jung, one of the founders of the publishing company, N & J International Publishing.

"All I did was check the company directory and look for someone in the company with the initials JJ." Tess gently took the phone from Gemma's hands and put it back in her purse. "Then I checked the society page. It was actually pretty simple. You know they always find the pretty one to plaster all over the newspapers."

The conversation died down and the mood went downhill from there. Gemma knew she was being a buzz kill but couldn't help herself. Ever since reading an article about all the charity work the company did, she wanted to be part of this organization. She had also entertained the idea of working in Korea, at the home office. But that dreamed died the moment she spilled hot chocolate on a stranger. "I have the worst luck." she moaned burying her head in her hands while Tess rubbed her back slowly.

Becca finished her drink and stood up suddenly. "Come on girl, you're young and beautiful and another job will come along, let's dance." Gemma wiped her eyes and gave them a watery smile. She knew everything would work out. That yes, another job would come along. But I really wanted to work there. She thought one last time before going to the dance floor with her flat mates.

uuuu

Three days later Gemma got a surprise phone call from Mr. Vondu, welcoming her to the N & J Family.