The Dragon's Den

Zander lets out a breath he had no clue he was even holding as she disappears into the dark foliage. A dozen questions are running through his mind as he calls for the girl to wait. Anger flashes through him, quickly being replaced by regret and sadness. He pulls a handful of sand out of his pocket and places a strand of red hair into the pile. His gray eyes illuminate as the sand begins to glow and a triumphant smile forms on his face. He looks up to the stars with watery eyes, "I'll watch over her for you. I promise." he whispers to the sky and slips the sand back into his pocket.

He shifts and flies back to Amity's castle, running through what he's going to tell her. He lands outside the palace doors, shifting and nodding to the guards. The man walks into the throne room, groaning internally when he sees both Amity and her assassin there, "Hey, Amity. I'm back." He darts his gaze to the stunning assassin dressed in black pants and shirt, "Mira. You're looking as ridiculous as ever."

"Zander." He winces, sucking on his teeth as the queen doesn't bother to hide the venom in her greeting.

"Speak of the devil." Mira gives Zander a sharp look, her golden eyes filled with disdain. He sneers back at her as he directs his attention to the queen.

Zander grimaces, "Well, funny story. She got away." He fiddles with his hand and looks anywhere but at the wrathful woman.

"She got away? Or you purposely let her go?" The queen narrows her eyes as he laughs nervously, "Zander! I gave you one job! Did you get anything out of her?" Her exasperation shows through as she puts her face in her hands. She clenches her hands into fists and stands up. Her skin begins to ripple, her wolf coming out as her temper flares at the inconveniences. A hand lands on her shoulder, a voice whispering comforting things. Amity's hands unclench and she returns to her seat, taking deep breaths and leaning ba-ck in her throne, "Thank you, Mira." Her assassin nods, smiling at her softly.

Zander coughs quietly, "Well, I don't know if this helps or not, but I-uh-I got her name." He shuffles his feet awkwardly at Mira's piercing glare.

The queen's eyes snap wide open, "Her name? You got her name? Why didn't you mention this before?" She repeats, getting back to her feet and snapping her fingers impatiently.

The dragon stares at her with wide eyes, stepping away from her slightly, "Aspen Adlberg. She's also a mind tricker. Or something." He shrugs and rubs his arm as he avoids Amity's gaze, "I don't know what she is, but she messed with my mind and it hurt."

"A mind tricker? Zander, you allowed her to play mind tricks on you?" Amity closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, gesturing to Mira, "Can you look through the archive and see if we have any papers on the little fairy? If she's a wanted criminal, she should be in there."

"It's Zander. What do you expect?" Mira crinkles her nose in disgust as she mutters under her breath and nods to her queen. She leaves the room to get started on Amity's request with one last glare.

Amity sighs and walks down to Zander's side, "You keep losing dangerous people. If you keep doing that we may not have a partnership anymore." she snarls as she glares up at him.

"Amity, I didn't mean to lose her I promise. Our kingdoms need this partnership. It's important for us to work together." Zander reaches for her hand but she pulls away, shaking her head at him incredulously.

The queen scoffs and swings on her heel, storming back up to her throne, "I am not a girl whose feelings you can mess with. Our ship has sailed, Zander." She turns and tilts her head at him as her anger turns into sadness.

Zander shrugs, not knowing what to say other than, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. It's completely fine." Amity blinks away tears as Mira returns with a paper detailing Aspen and slips out silently. She looks at Zander, breathing deeply once again before speaking, "Sweet Aspen here happens to be one of the most wanted and dangerous people out there. She is charged with the murders of two humans and three bounty hunters. Zander, you lost a hardened murderer!"