I am in Charge

I am in charge. I always have been. Or at least since my parents divorced, which was when I was five. I am a born leader. I could drive a car since I was eight. I could cook a full three course meal since I was seven. I could give haircuts and clean wounds and mend fences and plant gardens and climb trees for stuck kites since I was seven. We live with my dad who is crazy. A daily routine for me is: Wake up at five thirty to make tea, get dressed and sign any home work with a perfect copy of my father’s hand writing. Then I would cook breakfast. Pumpkin spice bread, pancakes, french toast. You name it. Then I would get my father dressed and give him tea and breakfast. My two siblings, Jenna and Alfred would come downstairs and I would feed them and get them ready for school. Our neighbor would come over to watch dad while we walk to school. I  have no friends. I did, but with having many “Afterschool chats” with teachers about phone calls to check on Dad and Ms.Malris our neighbor from my cellphone during school, I became known as “The weirdo” I am constantly asked to work with the Special Edds kids though, since I have patients for these things. After school. I make Alfred and  Jenna do their homework and do mine, I start dinner, feed dad, Alfred and Jenna then get them ready for bed. Goodnight.

            “Oh yes. It would be fine Mrs.Cortine I would love it if Alfred and Jenna went to your house with Lily and Thomas. Yes yes dad is...at work after school.” I told The mother of one of Alfred and Jenna’s friends after school. He’s at work at being useless I thought angrily. If that was true then he would be at work all the time.

            “Is it okay with your parents?”

            “I’ll check,” I sighed and took my phone out of my backpack. I punched in my mom’s number but didn’t hit ‘call’ I waited for a moment to make their mother think that it was ringing. Then I said to the buzzing dial tone:

            “Oh hi mom,  Is it all right if

Jenna and Alfred go home with the Jones today? It is. Okay when should they be back? Okay. Bye Love you.” I said in a much practiced routine. Then I hit the “disconnect” button in case Mrs.Jones was watching.

            “Mom said that that’s okay but they need to be back here at 4:30. I’ll pick them up.”

            “Oh can’t your mother pick them up? I’ve been looking forward to meeting the miracle mother that keeps these kids so polite and in line.” She pleaded as Alfred Screamed a battle cry at the top of his lungs and began chasing Lily around. I allowed myself a small knowing smile at the misgiven compliment, beings that I “keep the kids in line”

            “I’m sorry but she has a...book club meeting tonight and needs to make dinner when she gets home.” I said cooly

            “Oh, well I must talk to her sometime. There’s a class field trip to the zoo coming up soon and it needs volunteers. I think that we have a lot in common.” She chirped.

            “I’m sure you do.” I said smiling wryly.

            “MAMA! LETS GO!!!” Thomas screeched

            “I’m afraid we must go now, goodbye dear Piper.” Mrs.Jones said and ushered the kids to the car. But before they left I gave Jenna and Alfred a look telling them: “Not a word about mom and dad- not a word!” When we’re lucky my siblings and I can communicate quite easily through looks. Then I turned around and began walking home.