Number two

~~~~~~~~~~~~

With satisfied smile I munched on the apple in my hands, sitting on Manny's back and letting myself be carried wherever he's going, Sid trailing beside us with apple of his own. 

"She picked a hair off my shoulder and says 'if you're gonna have an extra mating dance, at least pick a female with the same colour pelt.' I thought 'She's gonna go praying mantis on me.'" Honestly, I completely ignored what he's saying, too occupied with finishing my fruit. 

"If you find a mate in your life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful. Now get away from me." Snickering, I throw the rest away and jump down beside Sid on my four. 

"I think mating for life is stupid. There's plenty of Sid to go around. Uh-" He cut himself off when he slammed into Manny's backside, the guy standing in front of us frozen.

"Bello? Manny? Why did you stop?" Sharing confused look with Sid, we walk under him to look up at his wide-eyed face. He looks like he seen a ghost. 

"Manny?" He still said nothing, only looking somewhere behind us. We turned and there we see a female human in the river with something wrapped in her arms. Thanks to the trunk she got to the shore and moved the thing to us. Manny caught the thing with his trunk before it fell back and we look what is it.

"Look at that. He's ok." Sid states. We see a human baby wrapped up, pink cheeks and lips and dark eyes looking at us with smile.

"A human baby, huh?" We looked back to where the woman was a second ago, seeing no one there. Where did she go?

"She's gone." Said Sid. 

"Why would she leave her baby just like that?" It's question I will never be answered but that doesn't matter. What with the baby now is better question. Manny suddenly turned and began to walk away. 

"Hey, Manny. Are you forgetting something?" 

"No." Was all Manny said. 

"But- but you just saved him." 

"I'm trying to get rid of the last thing I saved." My humor is broken so I cracked amused smile, switching my attention back to the baby. 

"But you can't leave him here just like that." I agreed with Sid. The mentioned one picked the baby up and looked towards waterfall.

"Look, there's smoke. That's his herd right up the hill. We should return him." Sid began to follow but Manny turned to him, their foreheads pressed together. 

"Let's get this straight. there is no 'we'. There never was a 'we'. In fact, without me, there wouldn't be a 'you'." My lips pressed in line. He finally snapped. 

"Just up the hill." Sid took nervous step back. 

"Listen very carefully. I'm. Not. Going." Alright, he's feed up with Sid. The smaller guy scoffed and turned to make his way towards the waterfall. 

"Fine, be a jerk. I'll take care of him. Rose, wanna help me?" Shrugging, I nodded and followed beside Sid.

"Oh, yeah. That's good. You can't even take care of yourself. This, I gotta see." In the end Manny followed us, even though not with intention to help. 

"We'll return you. We don't need that meany-weany mammoth, do we?" Sid cooed at the baby and we stopped in front of a high wall. 

"Got a plan how to get up there, smartass?" I don't really know if I wanna know, honestly.

"We will handle it, somehow." I don't need to hear his tone of voice or see his face to know he's unsure about this. He began to climb the wall, clumsily, and I stepped back a little so Sid wouldn't fall on me. Manny stood beside me, watching him.