1

Chapter One: The Rise and Fall

Do you prefer short stories (1-5 Chapters or long ones (>6)?

She loved him.

Gosh, she was so stupid for not realizing it earlier.

Vivian shook her head as she smiled to herself. She had always considered Bucky to be slightly more than a best friend, but she had never known that this was what was called love.

Someone patted her shoulder from behind and she almost gave herself a whiplash with how fast she turned, deflating a bit when she realized it was Dot, and not, um - you know, Bucky.

“Woah, hope your neck is okay.” She teased, but there was a slight concern tinged in her voice.

Dot, or Dolores, was a popular cheerleader in the college, and contrary to the cliche, was not a stuck up bitch.

Vivian hummed as she rubbed the back of her neck, “I’m fine, what’s up?”

“Bucky told me to tell you that he wants to talk to you about something. He’ll be at your dorm.”

She thanked Dot and picked up her bag before making her way to her home away from home.

For some reason, Vivian couldn’t control the smile on her face.

Okay, no.

She knew the exact reason why she couldn’t stop smiling.

Vivian had a feeling that something good was going to happen. Bucky wanted to talk to her at the exact time she realized her feelings for him, that must mean something, right?

The universe must be trying to tell her something.

Maybe he felt the same too…

And with that thought, she walked back to her dorm with a skip in her step.

⚜️

Bucky was right there, sitting on the edge of Vivian's bed, bottom lip caught between his teeth as he shyly looked anywhere but her as she entered her room, his cheeks pink.

Vivian opened her mouth to greet him but he spoke first.

“I love you.”

She couldn’t believe that Bucky was actually saying the three words right as she opened the door, almost not catching the start of the sentence.

He had probably been practising while he waited for her and maybe just blurted it out.

She didn’t know what to say - what to think. She was in awe as she stared at him in surprise.

Bucky let out a breathy laugh as he brushed his hands through his hair before finally meeting Vivian's eyes. “What do you think she’ll say if I tell her that?”

And just like that, eleven words were all it took to bring her whole world crashing down.

Vivian's smile dropped and she couldn’t help but ask, “What?” confusion deeply laced in the question, tears already threatening to spring in her eyes.

“Dot - I wanna tell her that I love her.” Bucky said as he licked his lips, blushing. “Fuck, I have been saying ‘I Love You’ to myself for ages, practising, before you even came in.”

Eyes blurred with hurt, Vivian somehow managed to will them away, finally understanding what was happening, and hating that she was partially right.

“I know that you’re shocked, you didn’t even yell at me for cursing. Hell, I’m shocked. Who knew a girl like Dot could lock this playboy down.” Bucky stood up, hugging her tightly.

It was true, Bucky was known as a love 'em, leave 'em kinda guy throughout college, and Vivian, his best friend from day one of college, was probably the only girl he had talked to for more than a week… well, maybe except Dot.

The increased frequency of meeting Dot and talking about her had made Vivian quite curious, but she hated that she only understood the implication and the meaning of it now.

She returned his hug anyway, wrapping her arms around his neck like always. But this time, something had changed.

Maybe everything had changed.

Bucky pulled away, his own eyes a bit red-rimmed even though she had never seen him smile so brightly.

Vivian couldn’t take it anymore, so she turned around on her heels, placed her bag on her desk and started taking out stuff as a distraction.

“You think I should tell her?” He asked in a small voice.

Vivian had never thought that Bucky could ever be this shy even a second from all the time she had spent with him.

She nodded, not trusting her voice as she discreetly wiped her tears. She felt him hug her one last time from behind before he muttered, “Wish me luck,” and rushed out of her dorm, the door slamming in his wake, which camouflaged the sound of her heart breaking.

And thus, Vivian was left alone with her thoughts in the quiet that followed.

It would be a lie if she said she didn’t cry at all.

She had just been through your first heartbreak, and her first love was left unrequited.

⚜️

Vivian woke up the next day, sighing when her gaze fell on the mascara stained pillows.

Will it be just as hard to remove the stains as it will be to remove Bucky from her heart?

Was her love even real if he never felt what she did?

Taking a deep breath, she made a call to the only person who she knew would have the answers, trying to rub the tears off your cheeks even though she couldn’t control the sobs when the person picked up the phone.

“Mama, can you die from a broken heart?”

What do you think is going to happen next?

If you're interested, I have two more Bucky stories published on Wattpad! Check them out in my profile Xx

- Vee