One Winter Evening

The sun was shining and the trees are greener and so is the grass, is what I would've said if it wasn't winter and cloudy. Another day of boredom and loneliness. I had nothing to do now that i've done nearly everything, i've walked around my garden, i took a stroll in the forest, counted trees and flowers and animals i see. It sounds fun at first but once it becomes your daily routine it gets a bit boring.

I was wandering around in my home looking around for things to do like always, until i looked at my window. It was a snowy day out there then suddenly i saw a dash of red speed by. Out of curiosity i wanted to go outside but i feel like i'm forgetting something... Oh right i can't go out without my mom's permission. But since she's not here at the moment i thought, why not? It's not like she'd worry about me, she knows i do this everyday. My mother doesn't stay in the cabin that much. She usually goes out for groceries or do other things i won't bother to try to understand. And plus she probably thinks i'm independent enough to be on my own. So i first walk up to my room and i put on my blue sweater and brown pants. I take my orange scarf and wrap it around my neck. it's not like i'm going to an event so might as well keep it simple, it was also the only kind of wardrobe I had to keep myself warm in the cold.

I walk down the stairs but slowly, just in case someone or something hears me. While tip-toeing albeit in a cartoonishly silly way, i didn't expect to see my mom be home so early that i jumped. Her being here made me feel like there was a disturbance in my usual routine. The reason I'm so shocked or unfamiliar is cause normally she would take long to go home because she works as a zoologist and works about 40 hours a day doing whatever. And she gave me a schedule to follow with food in the fridge to reheat but because of school i'm almost unable to follow it (mostly cause I'm too scared to open the oven) but somehow she made the time to go here earlier than expected. My mom was behind a kitchen counter seemingly preparing a snack, i wondered if it's for me. But when i saw her put on her random show Octopus Match and plop on the couch i immediately knew it wasn't.

I looked at the kitchen counter and saw a two triangular sandwiches in a ziplock bag with a lunch bag and two water bottles and a juice box next to it and a few cookies shaped like animals. I then noticed a blue sticky note on the bag and on it it wrote, "Hey Bob, i know how much you like to go on you're little adventures in the forest so I packed some "survival food" for your journey. Hope you have fun! Don't forget to come home. Love Mom." i didn't take the lunch bag with me since I'm not that hungry anyway and plus it's just a short walk. While she was eating her snack i was contemplating wether i should go there and ask permission to go outside to "play in the snow" when really I want to follow that red dash, or just run out the door...

My heart raced as i ran to the door, opened it, ran out, slammed it, ran away and hid myself behind the trees around the cabin. I couldn't help myself, the thrill of it all was too good for me to pass up! To be honest i've always liked the feeling of my heart racing it made me feel lively. As much as i liked the calm and peaceful surroundings, it's good to have some fun and excitement every once in a while. It gets a bit boring after a few hours or so. I then heard my mom yelling my name in concern as if she knew it was me who just ran through the door and slammed it. I will admit I should be more careful considering the fact it's made of glass. Thankfully I didn't break the door, (at least I think I didn't) otherwise mom would've yelled at me.

While my mom was calling out for me I got curious, what if I didn't respond at all? I normally do this everyday I would walk out the house and take a stroll in the forest, the only difference is that it's snowing and my mom is here this time. Her voice was riddled with concern and slight annoyance while yelling my name outside of the cabin. I don't blame her for being a bit annoyed. But then I noticed a few minutes later that she stopped calling for me. This slightly worried me but i didn't think much of it. I took a step deeper into the forest and started wandering around like i usually do during my free time. The deeper i went into the forest the more i started to realise that I was going a different path that i've never been in. But for some reason i kept going, and going and going to the point I feel like i've passed the point of no return.